• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum Radiator

Rumrunner

Reaction score
I'm thinking of replacing my radiator with an aluminum one w/electric fans.
I was just in WA and my brother has a mid sixties El Camino with a 402, aluminum radiator with two fans that looks real good and keeps his car at an even temp.
Any leads or suggestions?

Carl Ray

Reaction score
Are you experiencing an overheating issue? Is your current system stock?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Try running a 26-inch three core radiator with 7 blade fan. It gets really hot here in Fla. stop and go on interstate and car runs cool enough.

Rumrunner

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's. I might be jumping the gun because the aluminum looks real good.
I have been told by a member that's it's not the correct radiator for the car. Just want to be sure.
the one I have is 22" wide, 7 blade @ about 17"dia. #789075 and 38086. No Shroud w/Crysler mark on top.
I'm going to look into the ECP.

20230603_105707.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Run the shroud. You lose air off the end of the fan blades without it.
True but he hasn't said anything about it running hot. Without a cooling package or A/C the car would have a 22" radiator 2949053 a 7 blade 18" fan 2863224 no shroud. According to the book I have.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's. I might be jumping the gun because the aluminum looks real good.
I have been told by a member that's it's not the correct radiator for the car. Just want to be sure.
the one I have is 22" wide, 7 blade @ about 17"dia. #789075 and 38086. No Shroud w/Crysler mark on top.
I'm going to look into the ECP.

View attachment 37861
They do look cool. Is yours running hot?

383.jpg

Last edited:

Rumrunner

Reaction score
The gauge shows up about half way. There's two much stuff in the way and I can't get the heat gun to a good spot on the block. It shows about 180 degree on the thermostat housing but when I have it running in the garage of course it goes up. Just not comfortable..

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
The gauge shows up about half way. There's two much stuff in the way and I can't get the heat gun to a good spot on the block. It shows about 180 degree on the thermostat housing but when I have it running in the garage of course it goes up. Just not comfortable..
That's about where mine runs and I'm in the desert. Halfway or a bit over that should be fine. If it doesn't overheat sitting still, you should be OK.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Half way is in the nornal operating range. Now if you have money burning a hole in your pocket send it my way :thumbsup:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Do you have a set of after market gauges? Have mine mounted just to the right under the dash so I can see them. I just do not trust the old gauges as much as the comp ones. Oil pressure-tempter and voltmeter.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I have a custom made aluminum rad to resemble a factory radiator with dual electric fans. It keeps my 528" Hemi on the street cooler than any other car that I have owned.

IMG9539321.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

jww69rrpost

Reaction score
I have a Griffin Exact-Fit radiator, with dual 12-inch electric fans and a custom stainless shroud in my 69 Road Runner It does an excellent job maintaining an acceptable temperature. I've had it out in scorching heat (100 +) with the AC on and the temp will run between 200 and 215. The engine is an Indy 572 MAXX Wedge with the Mega Block and aluminum heads and the EZ FAST-2.0 injection system. The engine was built for racing and has all the internal components to maintain any kind of abuse I can throw at it. It dyno'd at 918 HP at Indy and 810 HP at the rear wheels following break-in driving... so the radiator and fan setup is doing its job just fine!!

572 Maxx Wedge (4).jpg

Back