• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ammeter wires oh so hot!

woodwiz

Reaction score
Hey 72! Nice explanation of the system works. The old ammeter is FUBAR,hence a new one installed right and no extra wire thru the firewall from the alternator to the red side of the gauge. Wasn’t done in the day and I won’t do it now. My problem WAS the studs on the ammeter gauge and a bulkhead connector that was toasty.

V.R.D

Reaction score
Just note on the stock original "old ammeter gauge", in good shape, with correctly tightened/maintained connections, undamaged insulators, they don’t just fail for no reason whatsoever over time. The factory original ammeters are a simple device, stoutly constructed, with good connections, can handle a great deal of current. Problems begin with poor servicing of the stud nuts, left loose or oven-tightened (crushing the fiber insulators, leading to loose nuts-high resistance). Loose connections will build resistance and the resulting heat build up will cause even more resistance and insulator damage. Allowing a stud to twist while removing a stud nut will damage the internal stud head to bus connection and will contribute to even more resistance/heat build-up at the ammeter connections.

Another common cause of ammeter and charging system connection issues, for these cars still running an ammeter, is adding aftermarket loads directly to the battery/starter relay (or anywhere on the battery side of the ammeter). This creates a false charge indication as the added current is pulled though the ammeter, and all other charge circuit connections, from the alternator while in operation. This can place the entire charge circuit well outside of the original design current limits. For an original stock charging system configuration, all vehicle loads need to be on the alternator side of the ammeter, as are all factory original loads, no exceptions.
did you wright the service manual good post :moparsmiley::moparsmiley::moparsmiley::moparsmiley::moparsmiley::moparsmiley:

woodwiz

Reaction score
If you are referring to my explanation NO! Just glad to have checked this off the list. Will change the other harnesses when dollars allow!
Thanks all the help…everyone

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Now you can drive your car with confidence Woodwiz. So glad you finally put in new wiring harness. Afte looking at the condition of the old wiring in my runner. I mean brittle insulation. Bulkhead connector was also brittle. The connections like the spades and female recivers where all pretty well done in after so many years of use. Hope you can enjoy that runner and have fun. :thumbsup2:

Back