• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Painting Question

scorpio

Reaction score
How long can/should masking tape be left on a car? My 69RR is ready for primer and 95% masked. I just can't find enough time to work on the car. I'll probably get it primed before cold weather, but a topcoat before next spring is unlikely. Will the tape adhesive damage the chrome, etc.?

earlyrides

Reaction score
The more important question is what kind of tape did you use and will it still do its job when you go to paint?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
The only problem I've ever run into when tape was left on for an extended period was the adhesive was a PIA to get off.

pro-streeter

Reaction score
Blue tape seems to be more forgiving than traditional masking tape. Traditional tape becomes difficult to remove and leaves an adhesive residue if left for long periods of time. Weather conditions also can break down the traditional stuff. The blue painters tape performs best if left for long periods of time. My two cents.
Good luck

scorpio

Reaction score
I'm using Scotch 233+, it's green, got it at Automotive Paint Store, so I'm assuming it will be better than the el-cheapo paper stuff. I've decided to prime this fall, and be ready for color coats when warm weather comes again. Thanks to all for the replies.

eddiebarrett

Reaction score
3m green masking tape

At our shop we have found the 3m green automotive masking tape to be the best . We have tried all of them ( yellow , tan , blue ...) and this has been the best . Unfortunately it's also the most expensive. We specifically experimented with this because on long term restorations we need to cover hinges like chrome and aluminum so it doesn't scratch. On an indoors application without to much sunlight it will last for 6 months however outside or in direct sunlight nothing will last . Good luck

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
you keep put of this Spongey, and with a major collection like Harold's...can't remember them all!

Back