• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another set back...

chapdog105

Reaction score
When I had my car sandblasted in December, I was under the assumption that my car would be going to the body shop in February at the latest. I was okay with that, considering that I needed to buy a lot of metal, and this would give me a couple months to get all my ducks in a row, and get my tax return in hand to fund the project.

In December, I gave my body guy a $2,500 deposit. He spent about $1,500 on metal, and still has $1,000 left for a deposit and to fund misc. parts he may need to purchase to get me started. On top of that, I spent an additional $1700 on parts for the body work that his vendors didn't carry. All together, I've spent about $9,000 on my car since December getting everything ready for body shop.

My body guy got a little behind in January when he spent 5 days ill in the hospital. He's healthy, back to work, and is doing well now.

I talked to him last Monday (March 1st) to touch base with him. He told me that he would be ready for my car in 2 weeks (March 14). However, today when I talked to him hoping to set-up a drop off time and day for next week, he informed me that he wouldn't be ready for my car until the end of April!!!! I guess 2 weeks has now become 9 weeks???

I didn't know how to respond on the phone, but I'm pissed. I just send him an email explaining to him that I'm upset, and told him that I'm going to go with someone else if he cannot get my vert into his shop in the next week or two.

I'm torn because I've been working with him for 15 months to get my car into his shop. He works alone, and has a great reputation for his work locally...and he works cheap! On top of that, he was going to do all my body work and paint at one time.

I have a brother that does great body work, and has offered to do my car since this guy is dicking me around so much.

What do you guys think? Should I just kiss this season goodbye and stick with this guy? What if the end of April gets here and he dicks me around again and tells me he can't get my car in until June or July?

Sorry for writing the book, but I'm really frustrated!

V269

Reaction score
It all depends on how bad you want your car and what kind of body work you want as well. I know it can be frustrating but if you push him he may rush through it and do a half ass job because he know's you want it done now. I went through the same thing with my car. My body guy said bring it over and I'll get right at it, so I did and my car sat at his house OUTSIDE for a month before he even looked at it. I was ticked big time. In all it was there 3 months before I got it home but, he did a great job in the end. Good luck with your car and hopefully he won't beat you out of any money.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
if this guy is great and cheap i would stick with him....no need to rush....you maybe sorry otherwise

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
chapdog105 said:
He posted an ad on Craigslist two days ago looking for more work?!?!?
If he can't get me in for 6-7 weeks, and my car is going to take 6 weeks, what the hell is this guy doing looking for more work???

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/aos/2254571933.html
THE BEST THING TO DO IS GET IN HIS FACE AND ASK THE QUESTION.....then you will know.... :D

69B5

Reaction score
Just my $.02 worth, but I'd do as George suggested, go see the guy, ask whats up, what are his plans for your car.
Don't get upset with him but rather talk this thruogh. Tell him your concerns and plans you have for the car once finished.
It can be very frustrating, as you know. But if he meets your budget and do'es good work, and you have given him some money, I'd stick with him
Having restored a 69RR that took eigth years and the 70 Mystery Car that is still be restored after three years, I certainly feel your pain.
Allmost all of us that have restored our cars have gone through some similar things at some point or another.
When I'd get upset, I'd remind myself that its the end result that I want no matter the time it takes to get there.
Lean on us when ever you feel like it, we're here for you.
I wish you the best of luck
69B5

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
chapdog105 said:
He posted an ad on Craigslist two days ago looking for more work?!?!?
If he can't get me in for 6-7 weeks, and my car is going to take 6 weeks, what the hell is this guy doing looking for more work???

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/aos/2254571933.html
THE BEST THING TO DO IS GET IN HIS FACE AND ASK THE QUESTION.....then you will know.... :D
x2
E-mail is too impersonal. Talk it out with the guy to see if you can resolve the situation and be cool, no good will come of it tearing him a new ass. :cents: It almost sounds like he doesn't want the job though if he's posting ads for work. Maybe he misquoted the job and doesn't want to lose his shirt? Talk it out with him. :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Oh boy, Paint Jail. Can't get in, then you can't get out. I'm the last one to get advise from I picked two bad shops. :toetap:

chapdog105

Reaction score
I just got a voicemail from my body guy. The email must've worked. I can get me in Monday possibly, or Friday worst case scenario.

solid gold

Reaction score
I like that term "Paint Jail"! I once was sued over a paint job,it was hell. He f**ked it up AND sued ME! These guys are right, alot of painters and bodymen are a different breed. I hope everything turns out all-right. Sometimes? the sqeaky wheel gets the grease. :crazy:

dobie

Reaction score
Dont feel bad. My car finally got torn into last summer before Carlisle. I had hoped to have the new trunk floor and at least one quarter put on by November. As it sits now in March, no trunk, and I've got to replace the right side with a full quarter instead of the half quarter which I already have.

By fall of this year I had hoped to have it in paint. That's not gonna happen.

My uncle is doing all of the work, so I cant complain. He's not charging me anything other than the parts we use.

Maybe someday....... Anyways, good luck with yours!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
everytime I read body shop horror tails, I think to myself "that cracked putty doesn't look THAT bad".
if your guy is cheap like you said, and does the quiality work you want, then it's worth it.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
It's after hearing all these seeming endless horror stories about about restorations and body shops that I'm glad I've been able to buy my cars ready to go. Maybe it's the , "I want it now," attitude of today. But in the end, it seems less expensive to buy a car already done then it is to restore it myself. That's why I have to give the guys who do restore them a lot of credit. I agree with the other guys. Don't rush him , you may be sorry with the results if you do.

moparchris

Reaction score
sam z said:
Do these projects EVER go smoothly....? Just wondering.

I have a few paint jobs go perfectly, however they are expensive and never on time. Just the way they go. I wish I could do it myself.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
without a doubt, you're better off getting the most done car you can. when I was looking after the fire, I wanted as complete a driver I could afford. I lucked out, my interior is done, the engine rebuilt, just need to hang some skins and repaint.

moparchris

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
without a doubt, you're better off getting the most done car you can. when I was looking after the fire, I wanted as complete a driver I could afford. I lucked out, my interior is done, the engine rebuilt, just need to hang some skins and repaint.

Just send me that fine Road Runner and I will go out and drive it all over sunny southern California.......oops I mean hang those skins for free. :leg:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Basketcase said:

Just send me that fine Road Runner and I will go out and drive it all over sunny southern California.......oops I mean hang those skins for free. :leg:

Sounds like a two man job. Dave get it to me and I will get deliver it to SoCal :D

Back