• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Wheel and Tire Thread...

chapdog105

Reaction score
I know it's been covered a million times, but I need some advice...

I was going to originally go with 15x7 wheels with BF Goodrich T/A Radial - P235/70R15 on all four corners.

As I get closer to completion, I'm considering staggering the set-up.

What do you suggest, and why?

I don't want something that looks too crazy or compromises the era correct look I have going.

Realistically I'd like to go 15x7 Chysler Road Wheels from Specialty Wheel (currently out of stock) all the way around, with slightly wider tires in the rear.
Or 15x7 up front and 15x8 in the rear, with slightly wider tires in the rear of course.

I may go with Magnum 500's if the Road Wheels do not come in stock soon.

Any advice is appreciated...

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
specialty wheel makes road wheels? like with the trim rings too? that is very cool and didn't know that.
the GTX I run 15x8 in the back and they fit fine with a 275/60r15 next time around I think I will do one size smaller,
on the front I run 14x6 with 225/70r14 I like the mix of 14's and 15's for some reasons.
big meats on a ragtop never appeal to me for some reason, I would probably do 14x6 up front with215/70 or 225/70 and 15x7 in the back with 225/70 it will give it some rack , the 70s in the back will get the rear up and 14s will keep the front down just a little.
my next project car will be 14s all around with 215s up front and 225's in the back on western slots but I'm going for the low buck grubby look.
of course wheels can be changed almost on a whim so you really can't do a wrong that can't be changed.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
15x8s with 27560s look great on the rear. Magnums/Road Wheels look great. Slots,and of course Cragars all look good.

chapdog105

Reaction score
specialty wheel makes road wheels? like with the trim rings too? that is very cool and didn't know that.
the GTX I run 15x8 in the back and they fit fine with a 275/60r15 next time around I think I will do one size smaller,
on the front I run 14x6 with 225/70r14 I like the mix of 14's and 15's for some reasons.
big meats on a ragtop never appeal to me for some reason, I would probably do 14x6 up front with215/70 or 225/70 and 15x7 in the back with 225/70 it will give it some rack , the 70s in the back will get the rear up and 14s will keep the front down just a little.
my next project car will be 14s all around with 215s up front and 225's in the back on western slots but I'm going for the low buck grubby look.
of course wheels can be changed almost on a whim so you really can't do a wrong that can't be changed.

I was thinking the same thing about the convertible, that's why I want to keep it modest.
Specialty Wheel has the road wheel in both 14" and 15".
http://www.specialtywheel.com/product-showcase/mopar/chrysler-road-wheel.html
The trim ring is shiny, but I can get that buffed out for a more correct look while keeping the 15" wheel for my disc brakes.

Would this work with 15x7's all the way around? How much tire width would that put on the ground on both ends?
REAR: BF Goodrich T/A Radial - P255/70R15
FRONT: BF Goodrich T/A Radial - P235/60R15 or BF Goodrich T/A Radial - P235/70R15

What is the height difference with this set-up? I don't want too much rake...

Last edited:

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
the wheels look kind of neat but I don't know I think the originals were kind of a cad plated brushed look instead of chrome looking if they weren't as shiney I would be thrilled to see them.
as far as tire sizes that sounds like an interesting combo to try especially that back tires the fronts might look a little wide but maybe not that size might be popular on aar cudas and such with 15x7 rallyes if so someone can give you outside dimensions on it. I don't know I kind of like 70 series tires on the fronts of b-bodies. as a convertible owner too I just wouldn't go much bigger than stock or stock maybe 215/70 on front and 235/70 on rear.
but this is only an opinion.

mcmopar

Reaction score
275/60R-15 on the rear on 8" wide wheels and 235/70R-15 up front on 7" wheels. Both sizes are the same height. This is my current setup with BFG's and Magnum 500's with Chrysler center caps. When it comes time for new tires I'm going 235/70R-15's all around so I can at least rotate them. They'll last longer that way. You can adjust the rake by backing off the torsion bar tensioner to lower the nose. You'll need an alignment anyway since you are putting the new tires on.

Last edited:

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
275/60R-15 on the rear on 8" wide wheels and 235/70R-15 up front on 7" wheels. Both sizes are the same height. This is my current setup with BFG's and Magnum 500's with Chrysler center caps. When it comes time for new tires I'm going 235/70R-15's all around so I can at least rotate them. They'll last longer that way. You can adjust the rake by backing off the torsion bar tensioner to lower the nose. You'll need an alignment anyway since you are putting the new tires on.
I have the same size tires on my A12 but I went with 15x6" wheels on front. You want to get as close to an equal offset on the front and back of the rim. It's like 4 1/4" backside and 3 3/4 front for an 8" and the front offset on the front wheels are almost as deep as the rear wheels. Also, the wider wheels and tall tires on front are known to rub on the frame when making a sharp turn. I like the 6" on front to increase the effect of the deeper 8" on the rears. I'm sure whichever way you go will look good but don't put 60's on front and 70's on the rear whatever you do!

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
I like the P275R/60/15 rear & P245R/60/15 front, great combo for a 15x8" rear & 15x7" front about a 27.5" x 10" of girth rear tire & a 25.5" about 8.5" girth front tire, a little more foot print & handling with 60's all around & a nice LA rake effect...

Back