• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Pertronix people out there?????

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
So whats the deal with Pertronix and the use of a ballast resistor?

My ballast failed me yesterday in my Scamp (left me high and dry at the grocery store). Fortunately I have AAA and was only a mile or so from where I store my Runner. I got a tow there, took the ballast off the Runner, plopped it on the scamp and it fired right up.

The ballast on the Runner was the one provided with the Mopar electronic ignition kit. The ballast on my Scamp was from my points style ignition, however I'm using Pertronix.

So now I'm really confused... does the use of Pertronix mean I now have electronic ignition???? I was gonna just replace my ballast with the same on I had on there and call it a day. There's a lot of conflicting info on the web.

:crazy:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
From what I understand, the Pertronix is drop in with no other changes. The wiring doesn't change, so the ballast resistor should remain the same as the OEM single resistor.

You do now have an "electronic ignition" when using the Pertronix. It replaces the breaker points to charge the ignition coil and uses a magnetic trigger and various electronic bits to charge the coil just like the Chrysler ECU unit.

The upgrade to 70 and up ECU uses a double resistor, one side is for the car when the key is in "start" (higher voltage) and one side when the key is in "run" (lower voltage).

The earlier single resistor only uses the resistor when in "run". In "start" the fulll 12 volts runs to the ignition.

You just learned the most basic thing about owning a Mopar... Always carry a spare Ballast Resistor in the glove box!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
shame shame shame...everyone knows your name!! you didn't have a spare in the glove box :huh: in all the years I've owned mopars, I've ever onlt had one go bad. I was going somewhere in my '68 Charger, and right before I left home, the throttle cable broke. I had a spare in the trunk, and after I changed it, the car wouldn't stay runing. Swapped the ballast and fired right up. And that was.....'85 haven't needed another one cause I have the spare. Now if I didn';t......somehow they know.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Like most people I learnd the hard way about those things. I was out with my '74 Duster and it wouldn't start up while at a store and I had no idea why. Once I learned about those B/Rs I have always kept an extra in my cars since. I've had only one other go bad, that was in my '65 Satellite.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I hope that didnt mess up your firewall :eek:

relax, that was on the Scamp. He wouldn't have put something grungy like that on that beautiful red firewall.

John69RR

Reaction score
See what stays in my glovebox? A classic car owner needs to live by the Boy Scout motto. Be Prepared.

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
LOL, thats definitely from the Scamp. Someone painted the engine compartment black and the sprayed over all the wiring and anything bolted to the inner fenders and firewall :lol: This ballast was on the fender. I grabbed the one off the Runner, which sticks out like a sore thumb now, lol

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Plymouthfan said:
69hemibeep said:
LOL, thats definitely from the Scamp. Someone painted the engine compartment black and the sprayed over all the wiring and anything bolted to the inner fenders and firewall :lol: This ballast was on the fender. I grabbed the one off the Runner, which sticks out like a sore thumb now, lol
I had visions of a hot ballast blistering and burning paint and turning the ballast black, smoke, fire, garage engulfed shooting into the house Plymouthfan trying to save his home with a garden hose :eek: I guess I got carried away :D

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
[quote
I had visions of a hot ballast blistering and burning paint and turning the ballast black, smoke, fire, garage engulfed shooting into the house Plymouthfan trying to save his home with a garden hose :eek: I guess I got carried away :D[/quote]

not a pretty sight when a mopar dies.....

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Petronix works great. I have used several but don't have one on this car.

You just use whatever ballast you had been before.

Back