• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone got $6000 they don't need?

Confederate1969

Reaction score
I've got a Blue 69 Plymouth RR parked in my garage (who knew!) fussing at me for not doing anything to better its condition the last few years.

Actually I was wondering about the fact that my stuff has sat around in the garage so long... My engine block has been on the stand for like 2 years now sitting. The crank has been wrapped up and sits in a corner. Is it ok for that thing to sit out like that? Will it warp at all? One of these days I aim to no longer be completely broke, but I am curious if I am doing damage by letting stuff sit where it's at. (Not letting anything *rust* mind you. It's all just sitting.)

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Also, my five month absence from the board is inexcusable. We're ALL busy (Being busy is what I tell myself for forgetting to keep up with friends and family and I'm wrong for it) so that's no reason for me not to drop by and say hi to y'all. You've all been a great help since I got the car in 2008 and I don't want to appear to be a freeloader that just stopped by when it was necessary.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I don't really have a good answer for your first question, but as far as not being around don't sweat it! Everybody has had things happen that has kept them from doing the little things that make them happy. The important thing is that you found the time to check in to let us know that you're still around and doing OK. You know we'll be here having our usual fun and maybe helping out someone with questions once in a while so check in when you can, and just don't be a stranger! :cheers:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
x2 on what steve said.....sometimes we get wrapped up in things....thats life....its good to hear from ya :D

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
As long as things are oiled and covered your fine, hope you don't have gas going bad in the tank. And its good to have you drop back in

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Stand the crank up with the flywheel mating surface on the ground - snout sticking up in the air. This will help prevent it from warping.

Like the others have stated, good to see you around these parts again. :thumbsup:

:jester:

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
You'll be alright, my car sat for 14 years before I got back into it. Just don't neglect it and keep everthing lubed up like everyone said. Follow Ray's advice for the crank, just don't knock it over. Personally, I'd slap the main bearings in and torque it down into the block since it's on the stand, just keep everything oiled and covered. :cents: :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
Personally, I'd slap the main bearings in and torque it down into the block since it's on the stand, just keep everything oiled and covered. :cents: :thumbsup:

That's better yet... :thumbsup:

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Good strategy, hang onto it all, store it properly and when you get to iot you'll be glad you hung onto it all, the way this hobby has headed is the average guy should figure what you let go you won't be able to get back (at least not as easy as it was the first time)

joewhite440

Reaction score
3BIRDS1X said:
Good strategy, hang onto it all, store it properly and when you get to iot you'll be glad you hung onto it all, the way this hobby has headed is the average guy should figure what you let go you won't be able to get back (at least not as easy as it was the first time)
:thumbsup:

Good point! I agree!

glhcarl

Reaction score
My dad had a antique store years ago. His theroy on things that didn't sell for the price he wanted was: "As long as I am eating and that stuff isn't, it can just sit there".

I am in the same boat you are with a 1966 Coronet 500. It sits in my garage needs a little work to make it a real nice driver. But I just don't have the spare cash to spend on it, when I retired my health insurance cost me $300 a month its now over $800. But as long as I am eating and the Coronet isn't it can just sit there.

John69RR

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
I don't really have a good answer for your first question, but as far as not being around don't sweat it! Everybody has had things happen that has kept them from doing the little things that make them happy. The important thing is that you found the time to check in to let us know that you're still around and doing OK. You know we'll be here having our usual fun and maybe helping out someone with questions once in a while so check in when you can, and just don't be a stranger! :cheers:

Couldn't have said it better.

moparchris

Reaction score
Great to hear from you, we all get wrpped up in life and it sounds like you are taking care of your priorities (family). Your stuff will keep, you might want to dump some Sta-Bil in the tank of that Runner if it has gas in it. No biggy if it goes bad, just remove the bad gas when your ready. Welcome back! :cheers:

Confederate1969

Reaction score
To be quite honest, it's been a *long* time since the car ran, and I'm not sure if it was left with gas in it or not (probably was). Whatever gas was in the tank and fuel lines has been in there for over a decade or more. Not sure what I'll end up doing about that when the time comes to get the tank ready.

sam z

Reaction score
I'm with some of the other guys here. First, I offer no advice on how to maintain it (or the parts you mentioned)
in it's dormant state.

However, if the car sits...it sits. Who cares? I look at mine that way. If I can't get to it, or different priorities take
over my family finances, then oh well. The car isn't going anywhere. I tell a lot of people that the number one goal
of mine was to own the car. Once I had that out of the way, all the crap that goes with it can wait if it has to. Just
don't let it rot off the frame.

My neighbor summed it up when I bought the car, and it has stuck with me ever since. He came over when he saw
the car in the driveway and struck up a conversation about it. I immediately started with "I wanna do this, I wanna do
that, I wanna do this...." And he said something to the effect of "who cares, what's the rush, you have it the rest of your
life." He was right. It can sit if it has to.

jays69bird

Reaction score
My runner was taken apart in 92 to paint,took me years to get it back together,money for the interior and conv. top etc.If you keep chipping away at it sooner or later things come together.I see alot of cars for sale that are partially restored,those guys usually end up losing money on it.You will get it done,and you will be proud of her,perserverance is the biggest thing in this hobby unless you can afford to write checks to someone else to work on your car and I know alot of us can't.I was glad to see your post,I was driving down one of the back roads around here the other day and saw a stars and bars flying in front of a house and thought about you.

Back