• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone here tried running without front shocks?

98 SNAKE EATER

Reaction score
Currently running Comp-E 3-way drag shocks all around and the fronts are torture on the street :eek:

Thinking about pulling them for the weekend just to see how I like the ride, then I figure I'd look into replacements (whether soft or medium)

Did this with my 70 T/A and actually ran my best times without them.

Liked the plush ride so much that I later threw in a set of dead OEM shocks and just called it a day.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I don't think your going to like it. I ran Koni 90-10 shocks back in the day for weight transfer and drove it on the street with no real issues :cents:

98 SNAKE EATER

Reaction score
Well, I've gotta pull them to adjust them, so I'll give it a whirl without them and see how it goes.

Currently draining the trans to install a filter extension and figure I might as well while I have her on the lift.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I remember reading a tech article in one of the mags and it said to use woen out Imperial shocks cause thay would let the front lift easier. I don't see having no front shocks giving a good ride.

98 SNAKE EATER

Reaction score
OK, just took her out for a romp and she feels like a totally different car now :)

Much softer ride, very lofty, but not soft enough to bottom out or anything like that.

Front end lifts up way higher and with less throttle than it did with the drag shocks.

Only issue of course are pot holes and speed bumps.

Hit them at speed, the wheels don't want to stop bouncing.

Any suggestions for cheap shocks?

Looking at Gabriel Guardians ($19 bucks) and Monroe Monroematic Plus ($20 bucks) and Monroe Gas Charged HD ($16.95)

Leaning towards the Gabriels since my local VatoZone has them in stock and they're black lol

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
IIRC...mine has Monroe Gas shocks, decent ride.

moparchris

Reaction score
I run the Summit racing 90/10s on everything I own and they ride and handle fine. I ran without shocks once and it make the car out of control at high speed (like at the top end of the track) Ill never do that again.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Glad you have decided to install the shocks. I removed mine front shocks on my first runner several years ago. Adjusted the torsion bars to compensate for the lack of shocks. At top end speeds the car wanted to lift the front and drifted left and right. As soon as I hit the 110 mph mark it felt like the front end was floating. With power steering it scared the hell out of me. It probably would have been a different if I had manual steering in that car. I eventually went with a set of Monroe's.

A31PKG

Reaction score
FWIW - and please don't take it the wrong way - you should NEVER operate a factory shock-equipped motor vehicle on public streets without shocks! This is a very dangerous thing to do!

Just my :cents: :thumbsup:

98 SNAKE EATER

Reaction score
FWIW - and please don't take it the wrong way - you should NEVER operate a factory shock-equipped motor vehicle on public streets without shocks! This is a very dangerous thing to do!

Just my :cents: :thumbsup:

Like I said, it was temporary to see how it compared to the Comp-E drag shocks.

That being said, I felt much safer without the drag shocks than with :eek:

Back