Are Glasspacks really the sh*t?

Exhaust

1. RKNRLR

RKNRLR Active Member

Mar 27, 2017
    In my state, cars built before 1983 are permitted to emit 96db, later models 90db. Id like the exhaust to sound tough, loud, but still crisp, not like a sawn-off hack job. For me its all about the note, slightly less about the volume. As a person who drives his RR a few times a week, Id like to push the limits db-wise, but still ensure Im not getting pinged every time i take it around the block.
    Some videos Ive watched have given me a good impression of glasspacks, others less so. Just trying to make my mind up on whether I like the sound or not, and whether they will take me past the db limit over here.

And if i wasn't into old technology, I wouldn't be driving no 440 cubic inch rubber-munching monster!

2. quikbird

quikbird Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2014
    cutouts are your answer. open them when johnie law is not around and close them when needed

RKNRLR likes this.
  3. Big John

Big John Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke

Sep 8, 2008
    Ahh...The "note" as you call it, is something that everybody is after. I like the traditional sound of the muscle cars, usually done with "turbo" mufflers (a copy of the turbocharged Corvair muffler) or the stock mufflers. The stock mufflers on the Hemi cars is about the best. My 300 has 2 1/2" pipes with Turbo mufflers.

With a 3" pipe, anything is going to be loud.

The glass pack has a different sound and to me, it's not a "crisp" sound. It always reminds me of a teenage kid with a beat up car.

But really... the cut-outs might be your best choice.

RKNRLR likes this.
  4. Ranger

Ranger Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2014
    I'm no expert, but I believe (as previously mentioned) that the sound of glass packs will change over time as the glass burns out.

5. 69hemibeep

69hemibeep Sponge Bob Square Wheels

Sep 10, 2008
    I like the tone of the 2 1/2" shorty turbos 14" on my 440 valiant, muscle car sound but not real loud

6. droptop

droptop Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2008
    I don't mind a loud exhaust , I just can't stand the popping noise when you let off of it.

7. Palmer Moe-par 68

Palmer Moe-par 68 Member

Feb 26, 2017
    My dad has some glass packs on his truck and they don't seem very loud too me. They only get noisy in a tunnel and sound great. The flowmasters sound like they would fit your needs better.