• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auto from the tree to the floor...Shifter?

woodwiz

Reaction score
Good Morning from Tucson!
Have you guys any recomendations for bringing the 3spd auto shifter from the steering columnn down to the floor? My 70 has the factory shift on the tree and factory split bench seats. Any ideas on the shifter brand and general prep for the swap? I've seen the B&M & Hurst shifters at Summitt Racing but not really locked in on which one yet,more concerned with all t extras and if the floor needs to be hacked on and or welded up.
Thannks!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The after market uses a cable to the transmission so 4 bolt holes for the shifter and one for the cable. To make it look right you need a different steering column

woodwiz

Reaction score
Can the section of the column where the prnd21 resides be removed and or replaced with say the cover that would be on an actual console auto or a 4spd?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Yours being a 70 I'm not sure what you might get into. I know up to 69 it doesn't go well, it's just best to change columns

Last edited:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll need the complete floor shift steering column collar set in order to pull this off. Tony's Parts sells them for $170. I did a 1970 column conversion just a few years ago when I converted one of my Dusters from a 225/904/7.25" set-up to a 340/A833/8.75" set-up. This is probably more work and a much more involved conversion than you are up for based on some of your previous posts. My comment is not in any way intended in a derogatory fashion - just trying to spare you some grief.

woodwiz

Reaction score
Oh no worries...besides if going to put the shifter on the floor why not drop the 727 and put in a manual! No matter which way,it won't go faster. I was looking at it as not horribly costly,but with these old cars come many dollars spent and many cans of worms.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
And it goes on and on. LOL. Many hours searching for parts on the web. Many hours of work. But if someone is up to the challenge the go for it. Many time's I asked my self what did I get into. but the drive to finish the project and the determination is what kept me going. Now when I get in to it and turn the key and hit the road it is all worth every hour and dollars that where spent on it. So build it like you want it and good luck on the project. Russ.

Back