• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auto Tranny Shift Point Questions

sax69

Reaction score
I spent some time trying to adjust my kickdown linkage this weekend and have a few questions.
According to the service manual (the way i read it) I was to place a pin in the linkage and adjust the intermediate shaft to line up with the ball on the upper hinge, Then adjust the upper shaft so that the slotted portion that connects to the carb linkage is just touching the linkage. That means the kickdown moves with even the slightest throttle.

Is this right?
It seems to me it shifts out of first too quickly when at full throttle.
It also seems to shift into third too late then under normal acceleration.
Do these issues have anything to do with the kickdown or are there other adjustments I should be making.

Would someone please be so kind to point me in the right direction?

Thank you

Mark

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
maybe someone will chime in and help you out.....i have a manual shift 727 race tranny so i really dont have a clue :toetap:.....mine shifts at 6500rpms thru the gears :D

mcmopar

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Auto Tranny :facepalm: :facepalm:

YOU'RE no help! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Sax - its just an ongoing joke around here between us stick guys and the automatic crowd - just so you know. Hang in there - one of the automatic guys should have your answer shortly.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
That's pretty much the right way to adjust the throttle linkage, just make sure you pull the linkage forward as you adjust the intermediate link.

There's a lot of different causes for what you describe, but if you have the linkage adjusted right, you can eliminate that part. Band adjustment can also make a difference, but it might be matter of transmission condition (read as wear) that is causing those problems.

Back