• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Automatic transmission

vso737

Reaction score
Has anyone converted their 69 RR from a manual 4 speed to a Torqueflite 727 automatic transmission.

If so, what are the things to watch out for??

I have newly rebuilt 4 speed manual with a new clutch that I will be replacing with a 727 tranny.

What are the best years for the transmission??

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

LG,
Mike

NEW ARRIVAL- smaller.jpg

NEW ARRIVAL- smaller.jpg

Mopar Vince

Reaction score
Are you okay with using an aftermarket floor shifter?
Not too hard to install a floor shift with a bucket seat car but a bench complicates things a bit.
If not you will need the automatic steering column and linkage.

Question: Why go to a girly-matic?

quikbird

Reaction score
to transfer over you will need a radiator with trans cooler capability, a kick down linkage, possibly a new driveshaft, flex plate instead of flywheel, not sure if would have to change the crankshaft ( because of the pilot bearing), maybe someone else can help with that question, probably a different transmission support bracket, remove the clutch pedal and cover the hole in the firewall from the clutch rod. either new floor shifter or new steering column with provision for auto connections

as you can see this is not a small or simple job. be very sure you really want to do this.
as for what year, not a clue. all mine have been 4 gear, I bet big john could tell you exactly what would work

metalstorm

Reaction score
For a big block trans a 70 to 77[aprox yrs] has some better attributes like better splines or room in the clutch pack for a 5 disc.How much power will you make?Look at an aftermarket parts like from CRT and you can see some upgrades for ideas.

Last edited:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
to transfer over you will need a radiator with trans cooler capability, a kick down linkage, possibly a new driveshaft, flex plate instead of flywheel, not sure if would have to change the crankshaft ( because of the pilot bearing), maybe someone else can help with that question, probably a different transmission support bracket, remove the clutch pedal and cover the hole in the firewall from the clutch rod. either new floor shifter or new steering column with provision for auto connections

as you can see this is not a small or simple job. be very sure you really want to do this.
as for what year, not a clue. all mine have been 4 gear, I bet big john could tell you exactly what would work

That covers most of it. The crank will not have to be changed. so that's no issue. Driveshaft is the same length. Trans mount is the same too.

It also depends on what type of job you want to do. A "seamless" looking conversion that looks like it rolled off the assembly line with an automatic is harder than a simple conversion where you push the clutch pedal to the floor and throw the floor mat over it.

You can get away with using a trans cooler for example... although it wouldn't surprise me if the cooler is already in the radiator and just needs to be hooked up. "Kickdown" linkage is a must (although that's really not the correct term or how it functions) and there are aftermarket versions that work. An aftermarket shifter works too.

To make it factory... That's another story. There's a lot more....

I did one years ago that started out as an auto, got converted to a stick and I converted it back. There's a ton of little details to make it right.

Back