• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVS problems

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
moparchris said:
Okay I had to dig this one up from 5 pages back. So I spent some more time with my AVS. I actually borrowed an AVS from a carb shop as long as I promised to not hook it to my fuel system. I used my fuel cell that I hang from the hood to gravity feed the carb. Well it ran perfect, sort of, didn't get to drive it. So I spend the money to have this reputable carb shop rebuild it. 3 tries later it now runs well although not perfect. I found that the distributor shaft was loose and so I put a reman one in for $53. Anyways now it is down on power although it runs smooth unless your turning right which it sputters pretty badly then rights itself and away you go. The problems stem from the carb being so bad from corrosion in the beginning. So I hope someone takes something away from my crappy experience. Now the Rustyrunner will go down the road to a new home. I wont miss it.
UMMMM I get it, don't turn right :thumbsup: :acme: :lol:

I think I am going to let someone else not turn right. :facepalm:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
AP is a problem I still have with mine. Will try an Eddy pump as it is made of new age material.

Sounds like crud did you in.

The check ball under the shooter can be missing and it doesn't make that big of a deal. I have ran them with and w/o them and literally saw no difference.

The floats are set wrong. If the carb runs good otherwise, just take it off and set yourself. no need for hamfists to touch it again. At least they got the crud cleaned out. :thumbsup:

Be sure to check the float drop setting. Easy to check and set also. Takes almost no time to do.

Market is bad, good chance your car won't bring the money we are used to seeing. I decided it isn't worth selling just to be changing things up. See the end of my post in the for sale section for more on that. A really good car, better than mine IMO opinion only bid to 13,700 on the Bay in the last week. Had a good ad so the problem is the economy. :cents:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Paint it anything but green and you will get more for it :acme: :acme: :acme: :acme: :acme: :jester:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Paint it anything but green and you will get more for it :acme: :acme: :acme: :acme: :acme: :jester:
You never give up, do you Mr Bombastic? :toetap: :toetap: :toetap: :lmao: Go ahead and paint it any color you want! Except blue!!!!!! :lmao: :lmao:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Paint it anything but Blue and you will get so much money for it you can buy all the Hemi and A12 cars you want personally delivered by Mac's Avaitar Girl :acme: :acme: :acme: :acme: :acme: :jester:

fixed that for ya Bob :thumbsup:

droptop

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
Market is bad, good chance your car won't bring the money we are used to seeing. I decided it isn't worth selling just to be changing things up. See the end of my post in the for sale section for more on that. A really good car, better than mine IMO opinion only bid to 13,700 on the Bay in the last week. Had a good ad so the problem is the economy. :cents:

I agree with this statement. I took the 300 to Carlisle and had it in the corral for all 3 days. Not a single offer, not even a low ball.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
droptop said:
SomeCarGuy said:

I agree with this statement. I took the 300 to Carlisle and had it in the corral for all 3 days. Not a single offer, not even a low ball.

I'm sure that this is part of the problem. My friend is still trying to sell his '68 Runner. He's had a few calls but for one reason or another they can't find time to come look at the car or cancel out an appointment or never call back. But it could also be that the people that are looking just didn't find anything they liked enough to make an offer on. I'm in that boat. I am looking and while I saw a few models that I might be interested in, none of what I saw were in the condition I really wanted, or I thought they wanted too much money for what the condition of the car was. My other problem is that I just can't decide which model I want. I started out lookin' for a '65 Formula S, I've also been lookin' at either a '65 or '66 2 dr Fury. I'm really starting to miss having my '57 or '58 Plymouths' around so I'm lookin' for them again. In fact I found one I like but it's down in Corpus Cristi, TX. Do we have any members down that way? It just may be a matter of waiting for that right buyer to come along. And that is the hardest thing to wait for.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
John69rr is somewhere in Texas....Huston I think....

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
69hemibeep said:
Paint it anything but Blue and you will get so much money for it you can buy all the Hemi and A12 cars you want personally delivered by Mac's Avaitar Girl :acme: :acme: :acme: :acme: :acme: :jester:

fixed that for ya Bob :thumbsup:
Some pretty good work there Dave :lol:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
droptop said:
SomeCarGuy said:

I'm sure that this is part of the problem. My friend is still trying to sell his '68 Runner. He's had a few calls but for one reason or another they can't find time to come look at the car or cancel out an appointment or never call back. But it could also be that the people that are looking just didn't find anything they liked enough to make an offer on. I'm in that boat. I am looking and while I saw a few models that I might be interested in, none of what I saw were in the condition I really wanted, or I thought they wanted too much money for what the condition of the car was. My other problem is that I just can't decide which model I want. I started out lookin' for a '65 Formula S, I've also been lookin' at either a '65 or '66 2 dr Fury. I'm really starting to miss having my '57 or '58 Plymouths' around so I'm lookin' for them again. In fact I found one I like but it's down in Corpus Cristi, TX. Do we have any members down that way? It just may be a matter of waiting for that right buyer to come along. And that is the hardest thing to wait for.

There are plenty of cool mopars that I would like to have that I haven't owned before. Just saw a 64 Dodge yesterday that reminded me that I should try one of those.

Thing is, if you have to sell a sorted car for x amount, buy said car at x amount, it still costs the same to repair as the car you just sold. It is nknown even if you check it out good. So why bother? Good quality parts cost big $$$. I won;t use crappy stuff if i can help it at all.

No way I sell a car with good parts in this market and turn around and have a car to redo with less than a full play money account.

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:

Even though Basketcase will beat my a$$ :chuck: I am going to have to agree with you Bob. I drove the Rustyrunner to work today, about 10 miles. It idled like crap and then cleaned up as it got over the transition from stone cold to very warm. The choke isn't perfect although it does function pretty well considering. I suspect a large part of the running problems are in the intermediate circuit, which is where most of driving occurs. It surges pretty bad and can even missfire. The float levels are low and thats pretty obvious. I really need a break AGAIN from this thing, I am pretty frustrated. I have a lot of projects on my radar right now and stuff like this can really bum me out.

No matter what I get for this thing I will buy another. I shouldn't have bought a car this rough. I wanted a driver that was pretty close to running and driving. Well I have owned this thing for a yar and a half and no matter what I am not happy with it. I would just attack it and do a full resto on it but I dont have the time or money. Thats what it really needs. Alright enough about that, lets get back to insulting each other over colors! :acme:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Market is bad, good chance your car won't bring the money we are used to seeing. I decided it isn't worth selling just to be changing things up. See the end of my post in the for sale section for more on that. A really good car, better than mine IMO opinion only bid to 13,700 on the Bay in the last week. Had a good ad so the problem is the economy. :cents:[/quote]

I agree with this statement. I took the 300 to Carlisle and had it in the corral for all 3 days. Not a single offer, not even a low ball.[/quote]

I'm sure that this is part of the problem. My friend is still trying to sell his '68 Runner. He's had a few calls but for one reason or another they can't find time to come look at the car or cancel out an appointment or never call back. But it could also be that the people that are looking just didn't find anything they liked enough to make an offer on. I'm in that boat. I am looking and while I saw a few models that I might be interested in, none of what I saw were in the condition I really wanted, or I thought they wanted too much money for what the condition of the car was. My other problem is that I just can't decide which model I want. I started out lookin' for a '65 Formula S, I've also been lookin' at either a '65 or '66 2 dr Fury. I'm really starting to miss having my '57 or '58 Plymouths' around so I'm lookin' for them again. In fact I found one I like but it's down in Corpus Cristi, TX. Do we have any members down that way? It just may be a matter of waiting for that right buyer to come along. And that is the hardest thing to wait for.[/quote]

There are plenty of cool mopars that I would like to have that I haven't owned before. Just saw a 64 Dodge yesterday that reminded me that I should try one of those.

Thing is, if you have to sell a sorted car for x amount, buy said car at x amount, it still costs the same to repair as the car you just sold. It is nknown even if you check it out good. So why bother? Good quality parts cost big $$$. I won;t use crappy stuff if i can help it at all.

No way I sell a car with good parts in this market and turn around and have a car to redo with less than a full play money account.[/quote]

I checked out ebay to compare your car to the other one. I don't understand why you car isn't getting more attention especially at your BIN price. You car is a turn key car while that other one will need work. For me that is the difference because as you said, while you may save money on what you pay for a car, with the price of parts it will cost you much more to get it right then buying a car that is complete and ready to go. I guess a lot of people just don't understand that part of the hobby.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I need to fish out the one that is better than my car and went for under 14K. It is hard to understand.

He didn't sell and I damn well know why.

I can part with mine at 16,500 and I have a list of at least 5 cars that would be a good fit for me and I'm comfortable that I can put the money back and have a good ride come out of the deal. For less, I just can't see it. And won't do it.

If people want to give 5k for a rot box, they can have at it with some of those. I'll still be burning up the roads in mine while they pawn stuff to build their car.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
I need to fish out the one that is better than my car and went for under 14K. It is hard to understand.

He didn't sell and I damn well know why.

I can part with mine at 16,500 and I have a list of at least 5 cars that would be a good fit for me and I'm comfortable that I can put the money back and have a good ride come out of the deal. For less, I just can't see it. And won't do it.

If people want to give 5k for a rot box, they can have at it with some of those. I'll still be burning up the roads in mine while they pawn stuff to build their car.
That's your gain, their loss. In more ways then one!!!

Back