• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Axle and Differential Disassembly (69 RR convertible)

MoparDan

Reaction score
I don't think you are understanding my question. Should that shaft and gear be pressed out of the case or is there some locking mechanism I can't see? That is what the manual does not explain.
Dennis, Setting up a rear end is a very precise procedure. You have got to get the pinion depth and preload correct. I've been working on cars since 1966 and I still get nervous setting up a rear end. If you're determined to do it yourself you may want to get the service manual and find some videos on Youtube. But as an overview you remove the pinion nut and drive yoke. Then you can tap the end of the pinion with a dead blow hammer. The end bearing will come out and you can remove the pinion gear. There may be washers and a crush collar on the pinion shaft, keep them. The large bearing is pressed on the pinion gear.

Back