• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Axle and Differential Disassembly (69 RR convertible)

Dennis Putnam

Reaction score
1. Is the hub on the end of the axles removable and if so how? Some of the splines that hold the wheel studs are stripped out. Am I stuck buying new axles?

2. How is the pinion gear and shaft removed from the posi differential? It appears it needs to be pressed out but I don't want to apply pressure without knowing for sure.

TIA.

V.R.D

Reaction score
1.wheel studs are replaceable from the axel flange.
2. one of the pinyon barring's need to be presses on and off.

i recommend you go to my mopar .com and down load the factory for your year car it is free.

V.R.D

Reaction score
i know but some have had problems finding / download you know what i mean

Dennis Putnam

Reaction score
1.wheel studs are replaceable from the axel flange.
2. one of the pinyon barring's need to be presses on and off.

i recommend you go to my mopar .com and down load the factory for your year car it is free.
That won't help as it is the splines in the flange that are stripped. It is not the bearings that concern me, it is the gear and shaft assembly removal from the case.

I have the manual but it is not clear how how either of my questions are answered.

V.R.D

Reaction score
That won't help as it is the splines in the flange that are stripped. It is not the bearings that concern me, it is the gear and shaft assembly removal from the case.

I have the manual but it is not clear how how either of my questions are answered.
there is no splines in the axel flange . the lug studs have the splines on them. if the stud spun in the flange then you will need a different stud o/d .

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Do you have the axels out. If so, take the retaining bolts out of the pig and it should slip right out. Remove the nut from the input yoke and the pinion should come out after removing the ring gear assembly. Sorry did not take many pic's of the process. IMG_0104.JPG

kariverson

Reaction score
Hey, are '69 RR lug studs and nuts the same as a '69 Charger ones?
Sorry to ask here, I didn't want to create a new thread for just this question.

Dennis Putnam

Reaction score
there is no splines in the axel flange . the lug studs have the splines on them. if the stud spun in the flange then you will need a different stud o/d .
Ah, so what I see that look like stripped out splines in the flange are the marks left by the original studs. Thanks.

As an aside, are left hand studs available anywhere? I haven't been able to find any since everyone uses all right hand these days. Using all right hand makes it less original.

Last edited:

V.R.D

Reaction score
Ah, so what I see that look like stripped out splines in the flange are the marks left by the original studs. Thanks.

As an aside, are left hand studs available anywhere? I haven't been able to find any since everyone uses all right hand these days. Using all right hand makes it less original.
it is best to use all right hand thread studs.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
These might work you would have to check the knurl size. Some NAPA stors have them.

Dennis Putnam

Reaction score
I don't think you are understanding my question. Should that shaft and gear be pressed out of the case or is there some locking mechanism I can't see? That is what the manual does not explain.

V.R.D

Reaction score
i understand your question but it is time to read the service manual to go further me telling you could get me behind the eight ball.as there tools and steps need to be taken. so read the service manual

Back