• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Back glass removal

bobbyb

Reaction score
I want to remove my back glass out of the Roadrunner. Its been awile since I removed one so I'm looking for a little advice. I believe I can use piano wire or my sons guitar wire or just cut around the outside and inside edge with a lewis knife. What works best? Thanks.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Piano wire is the best. Take all the trim off and cut about 8' of wire. Start about the middle of the window and poke the wire in from the outside. Feed it across the inside of the window and poke it back out to the outside.

Now wrap the two wire ends around some wood sticks or dowels and start sawing the wire back and forth keeping it taught, pulling towards you. Repeat for the other side.

moparstuart

Reaction score
Big John said:
Piano wire is the best. Take all the trim off and cut about 8' of wire. Start about the middle of the window and poke the wire in from the outside. Feed it across the inside of the window and poke it back out to the outside.

Now wrap the two wire ends around some wood sticks or dowels and start sawing the wire back and forth keeping it taught, pulling towards you. Repeat for the other side.

most parts stores sell a little kit with two oval shapes handles and some wire for like 7 - 8 bucks , they work great .

moparchris

Reaction score
I use a box cutter. I work the cutter around the inside of the window with the blade flat against the window. Then I go around the outside and cut it aound the outside. I just did this a few days ago on my 69 Satelite and it comes out pretty easy. You may have to tap the glass with the palm of your hand a little to pop it loose. Just remember to keep a hand on it always so it doesnt go anywhere and never use a tool to pry it loose. Good luck and its easier than you think. If my explanation isnt clear enough I can go out to the shop and take some pics to illustrate.

BBillyC

Reaction score
Ditto with moparchris. Easy with a knife working from the inside with the trim off. Only took a couple of minutes.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
moparchris said:
I use a box cutter. I work the cutter around the inside of the window with the blade flat against the window. Then I go around the outside and cut it aound the outside. I just did this a few days ago on my 69 Satelite and it comes out pretty easy. You may have to tap the glass with the palm of your hand a little to pop it loose. Just remember to keep a hand on it always so it doesnt go anywhere and never use a tool to pry it loose. Good luck and its easier than you think. If my explanation isnt clear enough I can go out to the shop and take some pics to illustrate.
We definately want pictures. I need to do this on mine very soon............

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
When we did mine the car was in the sun and hot out thinking the glue would be softer. My buddy had a special knife that went under the glass and cut the goo, but it was hot enough it would re-adhere (new word) so we ended up rolling it into the shade to cut it out :lol:

moparchris

Reaction score
Then I move into the inside and insert the blade parallel to the window. I do a few laps around the window. A little pressure from the palm of your hand from the inside and voila' window comes free.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
i just get on the phone and call a windshield shop....what could they charge and they are insured if something breaks...

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
i just get on the phone and call a windshield shop....what could they charge and they are insured if something breaks...
For a guy that stood on a beam at about a mile above ground for a living :loco: , you sure are a woosie when it comes to taking on a challenge on that sweet looking RR of yours............ :acme: :acme: :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
george68hemirr said:
For a guy that stood on a beam at about a mile above ground for a living :loco: , you sure are a woosie when it comes to taking on a challenge on that sweet looking RR of yours............ :acme: :acme: :lol:
Just bring it over to Gary and Bobs glass shop, we can break it out of there for ya :jester:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
new glass front and back AND I WASNT SCREWIN WITH SOMETHIN I DONT PLAY WITH....i let the pro"s like gary and bob'S do it up

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Aw shucks...........you had to let the cat out of the bag, Bob and I didn't want everyone to know we were pro's.......... :lol:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I remember when I was parting out '68'-'70 Chargers. To get the back glass out, I used to lay on the back seat, and just push the glass out with my feet after running a utility knife around the glass. never broke one either. sure wouldn't try that now.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I never have a problem taking glass out.... well almost never

2008_0901Stuff0029.jpg

Back