• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Back in Action

solid gold

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! Sorry to have been gone so long. Just took a break. Solid Gold is still intact (Somewhat.) The last two shows of the season, my hood slammed shut all by itself. (Very Dangerous) I can tell you those were the only 2 parts(hinges) that I did nothing to in 2010. They were deemed OK. I sent them to SMS for a rebuild, and they are now @ John's Auto Body for prime and paint. Also found some nice steel rims ( off a 69 Coronet)( 14x5.5) were sandblasted, back (of rims) powder coated black, and are being sprayed with the hinges. My Christmas present (to Myself) were (of course) The dog dish. Now I know why they call them poverty caps! I worked a lot and saved for another set of red lines to be able to swap out at any time. (P21570R14) I'll send some pics when everything comes together. It's been 3 years with the Magnums,so it's time for a different look.

1-IMG_0522.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Good to have you back, I went through the same thing with the hinges.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
wonder where you'd been, thought the mother ship had stopped by,......

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
gonna be a crime to put doggies on that beauty....

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
oh they're OK on Blue cars...nobody likes them anyways.....:wedgie:

droptop

Reaction score
Good to hear from you. I remember back in the day, I had to use a prop rod to keep the hood from falling down on the GTX. I wonder if a stronger spring would help with the added weight of the air grabber. I know the '71 and up had stronger springs for AG cars.

solid gold

Reaction score
Not sure about the wheel weights on the outside. To get a good balance, you should have inside and out weights. I've seen steel wheels with no weights on the outside, a cleaner but incorrect look. Just a preference, I guess. On the hood hinges, it's the rivets and mechanism that gets weak. I wonder if you got the air grabber hood, the spring was any different (in 1969)??

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Not sure about the wheel weights on the outside. To get a good balance, you should have inside and out weights. I've seen steel wheels with no weights on the outside, a cleaner but incorrect look. Just a preference, I guess. On the hood hinges, it's the rivets and mechanism that gets weak. I wonder if you got the air grabber hood, the spring was any different (in 1969)??

Its the same spring unless someone changed yours in the past. They go by the gauge of the wire and # of coils.

Back