• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ball Joints

BARRY JACKPOT

Reaction score
I know it's not Roadrunner related but i'm at the end of my tether. I have a 96 Dodge Ram 4x4 that needs the front ball joints replacing. Now i've got everything off so it's just the ball joints sitting in the housing on the end of the diff and i've checked that there are no circlips or anything holding them in and they will not come out no matter how much I hit em with a big hammer.

Has anyone done one of these, are there any tricks cause it's driving me nuts.

Thanks boys.

BARRY JACKPOT

Reaction score
Thanks Tom, so the diff has to come out of the car is what you're saying. Well that's a bummer.

moparchris

Reaction score
I usually hit em with a hammer and they come out right about the time I start to loose all strength. Use a BIG hammer. Or use a hand held ball joint press which mine is made by OTC and it allows you to press the bjs in and out without removing it from the truck. Good luck.

BARRY JACKPOT

Reaction score
Thanks Moparchris, what exactly does a hand held ball joint press look like, being way down here in the southern hemisphere i'm betting that if I go into the tool store and ask for one of those they'll just look at me as if i'm from another planet.

Trust me i've wacked it good and hard with a small sledge hammer, we call em lump hammers, and it aint going anywhere. I didn't want to hit em too hard in case I bent the bracket thing on the end of the diff. Thanks again for you help.

Back