• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ballast resister

mac

What ?
Reaction score
ok, whats the real deal with this? if i am running a MP ditributor and a chrome ign. box, msd epoxy filled coil, is the use of a ballast resistor still needed. or, does it still need to be there to provide some protection to the coil?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Im not familiar with the coil but if its the same primary secondary coil I would say yes keep the resister. You could bypass it and see if the coil heats up. :huh:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
my car had a chrome box, and an aftermarket distrib. when we were chasing the pinging, we pulled the electronics and put a points distrib and the ballast back in.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
i guess another question is, if i want to keep the ballast resistor, do i keep the one listed for a 69 car or go to the 1970 and later style that was using electronic ignition?

CWR

Reaction score
Even though mine has a MSD electronic ignition........still has a stock looking Ballast Resistor. But I assume that its needed

Back