• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batteries....

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
never having been close to being "done" with my cars, so I never went the vintage route, I go down to my local Car Quest and get one. IIRC, it's a Harris. Had good luck with them and my parts guy. The year before the fire, the charging system on my other truck was acting up. It ending up making the battery buldge out. It was only a couple years old if that. My parts guy knew it was the trucks fault, but he took care of things and gave me a new battery. He's second generation owner, and I'm second generation customer.
I've had good luck with Interstate, Die Hard, and New Castle. New Castle closed up, but they came back under a different name that I can't remember off hand. New Castle was making vintage batteries for the big three.

dobie

Reaction score
I've got a Dura Last in mine. I bought it back when I bought the car, then it sat forever until last year. No problems so far.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I've most always used Die Hard batteries in my cars, including the runner. They've always stood up well with no problems. .

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I was told a long time ago that there are only two or three wet cell battery manufactuers and they are all pretty much the same.

I ran a Odyssey dry cell battery in the Neon we autocrossed. It was tiny and I mounted it on its side. It spun it over every time though with no problem... and there is a lot of start.. move it 20 feet, start.. move it 20 feet etc. in autocross staging. I think it was spec'ed for a Harley.

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/

Now if you could find an old Mopar repop or orginal battery you can gut the case and put a smaller dry cell in its place :cool: . I saw one on another forum (A-12?) and it looked great.

mcmopar

Reaction score
I've got an Autozone 2 yr warranty in mine that is still going after 3 yrs. I'll probably need to replace it soon...

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
I had an AC Delco in there (just removed the decals, lol) and it seemed to be a pretty decent battery. I think I killed it when I had the electric choke hooked up in the wrong location last year. It would charge up, but I think it did some damage.

I've been keeping it on a battery tender for a few weeks with no problems. Last week I was working on the fuel sending unit and kept the ignition on for about a half hour so I could keep checking the fuel gauge. After it was all said and done, I didn't have enough juice to start it up. I did a quick 10 amp charge then threw the load tester on it and it read BAD. I'm just tired of dicking around with this battery.

So, just wanted to check to see what everyone else was running before I go out to get another...

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I just put a Red Top Optima in mine. Works KILLER with a mini starter. And it is in the trunk coming through some hill billy ended wires the last owner installed. Need to change that.

I used to run Interstate. Been too hard to find dealers lately however, and I heard they were slipping in quality.

So I run AZ Duralast in everything from the PSD Ford to the daily cars. I run the best line w/ the 2 year jump start deal included.

I ran a Dekka set a few years back in my last PSD and those were good.

bigcountry

Reaction score
I have Duralast batteries from Autozone in everything I own. Thay have a good, hassle free, warranty and I have never had a problem with any of them.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I run Optima red tops in everything except the runner because its just a dream and doesnt really exist. My wifes Grand Prix you almost have to turn the battery upside down to put it in, so no wet battery in that one.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
I just put a Red Top Optima in mine. Works KILLER with a mini starter. And it is in the trunk coming through some hill billy ended wires the last owner installed. Need to change that.

I used to run Interstate. Been too hard to find dealers lately however, and I heard they were slipping in quality.

So I run AZ Duralast in everything from the PSD Ford to the daily cars. I run the best line w/ the 2 year jump start deal included.

I ran a Dekka set a few years back in my last PSD and those were good.

I have Optima Red Tops in a couple of the cars too. Those are some good, strong batteries.

Ray

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
In the desert a wet battery is two years and out, the second summer they will drop lead and short out. :cheers:

Back