• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bench seat disassembly?

rkb2

Reaction score
Hi Guys! Doing a seat swap and I need to take apart my split bench seat to ship it. I want to take the backs off so I can send in three pieces. I got the track off easy and the seat is in decent shape but I can't figure out how the back come off. :huh: I see there is a nut or cover for a nut on the lower bracket but that doesnt want to budge, Thought I would ask before I break something. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Ron :lock:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ron, that is a push nut. You have to work it off of that unthreaded stud. If you take a small screwdriver you can peel back those retaining teeth just a little to relieve the tension and slide it right off, or you can wedge a couple of larger screwdrivers behind it and force it off. If you do it the first way you can flatten it back out and reuse it - if you do it the second way you might be making a trip to the hardware store...

Once the push nut is off, slide the seat back outward until the lower pivot bracket is off of the unthreaded stud, then tilt upward. The whole thing will come right off.

Here is what the frame looks like with the upholstery and padding removed. To the upper left you can see the unthreaded stud that the outer bracket for the seat back pivots on, and to the upper right of the picture you can see the center studs. Notice how they are angled upward. This is why you have to lift the seat back upward to get it off.

Hope this helps.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Figured I'd better post an "After" photo before the cranky storage facility guy with a mullet comes after me... :lol:

I do have pictures of just the seat frames after they were sandblasted, primed, and painted, but they are not on this computer... :yesnod:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Figured I'd better post an "After" photo before the cranky storage facility guy with a mullet comes after me... :lol:

I do have pictures of just the seat frames after they were sandblasted, primed, and painted, but they are not on this computer... :yesnod:

:jester:
All this knowledge about seats and your doesn't work right :acme: :jester:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:

Isn't that how it always goes... :basketcase:

I think the locking mechanism on mine is just worn. When I pulled the seat apart the little springs for the locking mechanism were broken - so I assumed that this was the problem and replaced them. Turned out to be just part of the problem... When I pull the seats out again to redo the car I will pay particular attention to this area, believe me. Right now it seems to have found its happy spot and is locked in place pretty good. But the first time I move the seat I'll bet $100 we're back to the James Bond Ejector Seat action... :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

I think the locking mechanism on mine is just worn. When I pulled the seat apart the little springs for the locking mechanism were broken - so I assumed that this was the problem and replaced them. Turned out to be just part of the problem... When I pull the seats out again to redo the car I will pay particular attention to this area, believe me. Right now it seems to have found its happy spot and is locked in place pretty good. But the first time I move the seat I'll bet $100 we're back to the James Bond Ejector Seat action... :lol:
I have an A-body mechanism I may not use are the the same?

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

I think the locking mechanism on mine is just worn.

Same here, I was wondering if I can just build it up with weld and reshape it. Any thoughts? I haven't looked at it yet that's why I ask.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
Same here, I was wondering if I can just build it up with weld and reshape it. Any thoughts? I haven't looked at it yet that's why I ask.

That is exactly what I was thinking of doing. Maybe even configuring it so it is more aggressive than Ma MoPar's original engineering...

Not sure about that Mr. Hemibeep...may have to take a look at one of my A-Body versions when I get a chance...

rkb2

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I went out in the barn during daylight and it came apart just like you said. :yesnod:

I should probably quit working on things when I can't sleep :lock: Thanks again.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
De nada, senor!!! :cheers:

So what are you doing anyway? Shipping your bench to somebody for a pair of buckets? :popcorn:

rkb2

Reaction score
That would be it, My cars a bucket car. His is a bench. both are in good structural shape but need recovered so the plan is a swap via greyhound. :lock:

Back