• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bendig push rods

bjersauto

Reaction score
Ok guys I built a 440 10.1 I have bent two smith brother push rods different hole at different times no valve to piston concern adjustable rockers set at 0 lash plush half turn valves are not sticking in head ran on dyno 13 pulls no concerns it happens after sitting and on crank up it pops then miss pull covers and bent push rods any help thanks Sreve

quikbird

Reaction score
hydraulic or solids? If you bent a pushrod there is a bind or interference somewhere. something is wrong on a clearance. just have to look at the whole process from camshaft (possible wiped lobes now) to the valve piston possible connection. I run smith bros in mine and have had no problems so far. keep us posted on what you find please.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Quikie - I think by his description of the valve adjustment process it is safe to assume a hydraulic cam & lifters. Otherwise we'd have a lash setting mentioned instead of 0 plus a half a turn.

bjersauto - I think Quikie is onto something as it relates to a mechanical bind somewhere. Have you checked for coil bind or if the retainer is hitting the valve guide?. Give us some more details on the whole set-up - if you want help on this there is no such thing as too much information.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
The thought is when you adjusted the rocker lash check to see what the clearance is. It may be that it is set to tight. Don't know if the other guy's can give you the right amount of lash. Check 10 thou. or what. Had a ford motor and ford said 0 clearance bent pusher rods. Also check the timing of the valve when you check the clearance It can make difference. Also did not say if on intake valve or exhaust. Let us know what was up. Russ. Call a local motor shop you trust maybe they ran into the problem before.:nachos:

quikbird

Reaction score
I will mention again, if you had something cause enough bind to bend a pushrod, you probably had enough force to wipe a cam lobe. I would double check that first and then work up the chain if you will.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
What we don't know are they solid lifter's or hydraulic. Have bent push rod and did not hurt cam but have collapsed lifter. Replaced rod's and set the lash on the rocker was told to dead set the rod's but that was wrong needed 10 thou. clearance between the valve stem and rocker. Some motor's need to set lash with cam timing. Russ. :encouragement:

Coyote

Reaction score
If he is going zero lash plus a half turn it better be hydraulic.

Amen! I'd just about bet that there is interference between valve guide(s) and bottom of retainer(s). Good luck! QB is correct for once. I'd pull cam and check for at least some damage or galling of metal on lobes. Much less grief than having to go clear through a motor again (ask us how we know).

Are you losing coolant? Is carb(s) flooding intake/cylinder after shut down. Since it did dyno pulls w/o issue, it may be a hydraulic/fluid block in a cylinder when restarting after sitting.

Last edited:

bjersauto

Reaction score
Well it is hydraulic lifters pulled intake and lifter cam measured out ok and looks ok lifter are hydraulic stuck tore them apart found crap in them reinstalled readjusted and started fine iam pulling v/c and rolling motor over by hand today to see if lifters stuck again inside them self or are ok I might just replace lifters and start over. Thanks Steve

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Well their was the problem not good to find stuff in the lifter. Did you buy new ones or used the old. Might have gotten some trash out of the oil journal. Darn we hope you get her fixed. Let us know your friend Russ. :applouse:

bjersauto

Reaction score
Well I know where it came from and seems to be ok runs good glass goes in on Tuesday and if weather hold I will get FEA then road test. Rhere is light at the end of the tunnel. Steve

Back