• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best fuel sending unit - where to buy?

road robert

Reaction score
Hello gang, I've diagnosed my fuel sending unit as bad based on it always reads 84 ohms regardless of tank being empty or full and it leaks when I fill up. Which is the best replacement unit and where to purchase? I also need the ground strap and would like to buy the tool to remove/install the lock ring. Thanks!

road robert

cosgig

Reaction score
There is no good aftermarket sending unit available out there, any you buy will not read correctly. There is a device called the meter master, which takes a new unit and calibrates it according to the best results you can get with the aftermarket. As for the gasket and wrench, and the ground strap, I get that stuff from Mancini Racing. I would use your original lock ring at all cost, and look into cleaning and checking your old unit before I bought a new one and the MM, you may find out it just needs to be cleaned, a new float, and new sock to go right back in.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I adjust the float to the empty position that is the most important. The one in my runner came out pretty close just reads a little high at full.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
When I fill up, the needle is a bit over full. The first 1/4 tank goes real slow. The next 2 quarters of the tank flash by, and then the last quarter takes forever before it gets to empty. I've learnt to live with it.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Just got the meter match and going to put it in as soon as I can drive the car and fill up the tank. Will post more on how it work's.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
This post is old but now have had a chance to drive the car after having to bend the sending unit so it's pick up tube is more to the front of the thank. Due to the lift of the car had to do that. So now think I am ok with the sending unit reading the amount of fuel in the tank. Put 15 gallon's in it after the gauge read under a quarter of a tank of fuel and it read full when I filled it up. So may not need the meter match after all but will hang on to it for the furture. LOL.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I just pulled the sending unit out of a car the the brass float was full of gas so it never came off empty. All is good now.

V.R.D

Reaction score
try and fix yours it a very simple resistor. bend the small tabs to separate the contact side with the float be careful go slow then check the strung copper that is around the insulator board if all are good [use an ohm meter] if you have a reading top to bottem use a finger nail file on the copper contact and 2000 grit sand paper in the board wires very carefully i have fixed a few this way

Back