• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to tackle surface rust on Floor pans?

DirtyBird

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I just peaked in the back and realized the rear pans where the fear of backseat passengers go are also a bit rusty. I poked a hole out but I think it's not too bad. Under the seats seem fine. My question: should I patch the front pans and rear 1 pan separately or just put in a whole new floor? I thought a whole floor would be easier but most people seem to think patching separately is fine and much easier? I'm not building a showcar so what do you guys think? Many thanks for the help!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
depends on what you want for the car, and your wallet. If you can do the complete floor, that'd be the way to go,unless it's a bunch of different spots. But many do separate sections.

Texas Plymouth

Reaction score
The wire covers need to be on both side so your carpet makes the transition up from the floor pan and tucks under the threshold /sill plates correctly.

droptop

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I just peaked in the back and realized the rear pans where the fear of backseat passengers go are also a bit rusty. I poked a hole out but I think it's not too bad. Under the seats seem fine. My question: should I patch the front pans and rear 1 pan separately or just put in a whole new floor? I thought a whole floor would be easier but most people seem to think patching separately is fine and much easier? I'm not building a showcar so what do you guys think? Many thanks for the help!

Well, seeing that you have a post car, there is no way of getting a full floor pan in there in one piece unless you cut the post. I have used, and recommend, the left and right pans from AMD. They fit great and have most of the same contours as the factory pans.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score

Is it just one hole or is the metal thin from rust and you just haven't poked anymore holes?

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Btw what's that gauge setup you got? I originally though white gauges didn't fit but that looks very nice. (Here I go getting ahead of myself again...I gotta patch my floor first!!) :)

Hey I'm so sorry for not replying sooner I forgot to enable the notification via email part. This cluster has been done 3 times, the first two times were racked up to practice runs lol. each gauge was taken out and lightly sanded down, each gauge then repainted a certain semi gloss white (not too glossy just kind of a step above matte for some shine to make the kit sheen) then the kit was applied to each gauge face. The cluster face or cover (clear plastic face with he speedo numbers on it) I took out the white paint off of each number and line and repainted each one by hand to black so it would show up on the white background. yes it took some time lol but hey thanks for noticing! my eyes are shit so I needed a cluster that is a bit easier to read while driving.

I got a white face gauge kit from http://www.whitegauges.net/

DirtyBird

Reaction score
I just haven't poked any more holes...I have yet to remove the seats fully but I can tell the floor is super thin in some places.

quikbird

Reaction score
Then go with the floor pans on each side, look underneath and find and check the crossmembers. Make sure they are in good shape or if they need attention. Take a deep breath and start cutting them out in smaller chunks, that helps keep it under control. Should be some videos out there on how to do this as well.

Back