• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bias-Ply tires

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever run the Goodyear Speedway sold through Kelsey tire? Or even the poly glass Goodyear? I am thinking of buying tires, and I am tempted. I really like the profile of a bias ply tire.....

HOWEVER, every car I drove with bias ply sucked handeling.
I purchased a 68 GTX in 1990, and on the ride home I nearly killed myself! I didn't wreck, but came close and got really squirrelly!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Ahh... One of my two favorite upgrades... tires and headlights.

IMHO, any car that doesn't just drive across the show field to the trailer and back deserves radials. My personal preference is blackwall with no letters, but that's me. If you want a red line, there's a couple options. I can't get on the Coker tire site right at the minute, but it seems like there is a red line radial that would be pretty cool... or.. do what a local guy does with his GTO's. He buys a narrow white wall radial tire and then colors the white wall red with Mar-Hyd upholstry paint. Looks good for the season and then he just redoes them in the spring.

I've driven bias tires and bias belted tires and they both just suck. The absolute best thing I ever did to my car was to put radials on it.

moparstuart

Reaction score
Big John said:

IMHO, any car that doesn't just drive across the show field to the trailer and back deserves radials. My personal preference is blackwall with no letters, but that's me. If you want a red line, there's a couple options. I can't get on the Coker tire site right at the minute, but it seems like there is a red line radial that would be pretty cool... or.. do what a local guy does with his GTO's. He buys a narrow white wall radial tire and then colors the white wall red with Mar-Hyd upholstry paint. Looks good for the season and then he just redoes them in the spring.

I've driven bias tires and bias belted tires and they both just suck. The absolute best thing I ever did to my car was to put radials on it.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:

Ah, yes, our resident traditionalist...with his Keystones and his radial tires... :basketcase:

Just razzin' ya, Big. :cheers: Couldn't agree more on the radials for something that is going to be driven...

:jester:
ACME...aka Halibrands are Traditional Too... :stuckup:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Radials are the ONLY way to go for a driver. Those bias ply tires follow every crack and uneven spot in the pavement. Plus they are SUPER expensive - as are the redline radials. RWL or blackwall is the way to go for ecenomical driving :thumbsup:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I guess I'm the different guy here. I have poly glass Goodyears on my car and I have no complaints. And I do drive my car. Just a few weeks ago I went on a 200 mile trip and I had no problems. There were no handling problems and it had a smooth ride. This car had Michelins on it when I got it and the main reason I changed was that I didn't like the looks of car with these tires . Once I did change I didn't feel any difference in how the car drove with the polys on it , and I think the car looks much better now. For contrast my Barracuda has radials and they suck. The car has a harsh ride and these tires are real easy to break loose if I get stuck driving on wet roads.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Plus they are SUPER expensive

G70-15 Goodyear Redline RePops currently run about $325 a piece. These are the correct tires for an A12. The price is supposed to be coming down...but I haven't seen anything in print yet...

Steve, I've had a few cars over the years that weren't too bad to drive on Bias-Ply tires too, but any of them that needed the least bit of front end work were just miserable. The tracking and groove-following issues as described by John McMopar were my biggest complaints too. Eventually I'll get a set of correct redlines for Bambi for show usage...but that will probably be the VERY last thing that I do... :lol:

:jester:
ACME

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Keep in mind that our cars came with bias belted tires and not bias tires. They are two different animals. The bias belted will handle better at the breaking point, but the ride will be harsher. Bias ply will ride better, but the tread tends to roll as the tire is pushed to the limit.

The bias tires were disappearing from cars in the late 60's and the bias belted tires started going away in the 70's.

BTW, bias ply tires still have their place. By their design, the side wall is stiffer and better suited for higher loads. My trailers (boat and car) have bias ply trailer tires.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Especially for all you manly men who don't have power steering. My dad's road runner (later it became my 1st road runner) had no ps and with bias ply tires it was a bear to handle. He put on Goodyear radial tires in '71 and it was a lot easier to handle since rolling resistance was reduced.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I'm going to buy bias red lines for the car, I don't like the rounded tread on the edge of the radial and I have the cop wheels and BF G radials already.

dstryr

Reaction score
I'm with Roadcuda and 69hemibeep. :D Bias ply tires scream OEM and look great on these old cars. I put Firestone redlines on before Carlisle in '05 and have about 6000 miles on them. If I rebuilt the front end and had the car aligned it would handle pretty good, but with a loose steering box and loose front end it does tend to wander. Still, I have never had an issue with them and as long as the brakes are up to snuff I have absolutely no problem getting stopped. The limiting factor may be the $$ to replace them. I have BF G radial T/As in the garage attic that I took off when I put the Firestones on. Once the Firestones are gone I may have to revert to the BF Gs for a while.

tom99

Reaction score
I've been running Firestone bias ply red line tires on my Road Runner for the last twenty years. On the freeways, thay track well, at low speeds they do seem to wander. I did have the alignment done when I had radial tires on it.
To me, it's alll about the looks.

R_side.jpg

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score

looks wont help you when your wrapped around a tree with your roadrunner :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
tom99 said:
I've been running Firestone bias ply red line tires on my Road Runner for the last twenty years. On the freeways, thay track well, at low speeds they do seem to wander. I did have the alignment done when I had radial tires on it.

R_side.jpg

Tom please forgive my memory(I just finished my 7 days of midnight) but I don't remember that black beauty of yours. Please, post more pics with all the details! :drool:

tom99

Reaction score
It's the original 383, A-727 torqueflite, 3.23:1 Sure grip, Air Grabber Hood, Tinted Windows, Styled Road Wheels, and an AM Radio.
I've owned it for just over 20 years.
69RRengine.jpg
69RRInterior.jpg
69RRRear.jpg

droptop

Reaction score
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :beep: :beep: :beep: :beep: :beep: :beep: :beep: :beep: :beep: :beep: :beep: :beep:

Have I mentioned lately that I like BLACK cars. That is AWESOME!!!!!

tom99 said:
It's the original 383, A-727 torqueflite, 3.23:1 Sure grip, Air Grabber Hood, Tinted Windows, Styled Road Wheels, and an AM Radio.
I've owned it for just over 20 years.
69RRengine.jpg
69RRInterior.jpg
69RRRear.jpg

Back