• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bogging hesitaion problem.

jays69bird

Reaction score
Went to the Nationals today,I had a problem occurs twice today pulling into traffic that almost lead to some disaster.The first occcured aftyer I shut the car off to run into to register it.After about 10-15 minutes I came out started the car up started hard,it has been since I switched carbs but I think it may have to do with the ethonol fuel.went through the parking lot a couple of stops.I went into traffic making a left turn,light turned started to move the car bogged on me and stalled,I got traffic bearing down and Iam dead halfway through an intersection,didn't want to restart,I put the pedal to the floor she finally caught I dropped the clutch and got out of there.Later it happened pulling out of Ci Ci's,car was shut off about 45 minutes,she didn't stall when I pulled out but it fell flat and didn't want to move,again on a busy street.All I can think of is maybe a vapor lock because of the ethonol gas,I even thought about a backup electric pump like my dad put on his 36 Hudson.Stock motor with a reman AVS.Any ideas? I have an insallated spacer betweeen the carb and manifold.since I'm not running headers the heat riser is still working.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Are you familiar with the accel pump linkage and where it is? It is at the top on the front of the carb on the driver's side and there is a linkage that has 3 holes in it that a rod inserts into. The rod should be inserted into the center hole but you can try either of the other 2 holes. The top hole gives you the smallest and shortest pump shot while the bottom hole gives you the largest and longest pump shot. Play with this first and see if it solves your problem. You also may need to replace the accel pump piston inside the carb because they tend to deteriorate if the car is not driven often. And, of course, the ethanol gas may deteriorate it as well. If it is not an accel pump/linkage problem we'll move to float level adjustment and secondary air valve adjustment...

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Lets see, vapor lock, low fuel bowl level, pump or filters. What carb did you take off? Try what John suggested,also if you have a low bowl level and you accelerate to the left all the fuel goes away from the pump :yesnod:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Good call on the fuel level, Bob. I had to revise my post to include that one! :thumbsup:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
I'm betting on the vapor lock.........mine does exactly the same thing in the heat and always starts easy after sitting in it's A/C home.......... :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
I'm betting on the vapor lock.........mine does exactly the same thing in the heat and always starts easy after sitting in it's A/C home.......... :thumbsup:
Your just sceered of the power and let off :lol:

jays69bird

Reaction score
I just got home from the nats,with the car sitting in the driveway I came in monkeyed around for a bit,went out and pulled the very hot air cleaner,(yeah gloves would have been a smart idea) worked the throttle,just a little drizzle of fuel came out so the bowl must be low,also noticed today the mileage has gone down.I'll have to pop off the top on the AVS and check it,the one year warranty is up so I don't have to worry about that.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Yeah that sounds liek a float level problem.

Don't forget to measure the float drop as well. Not as critical but many of us forget about it.

I have heard the Edelbrock accel pumps are better since they are a syn material. Have yet to try it.

I take it you have a stock intake? I have aluminum and only have a hint of heat soak problem sometiems. I only have a thin paper gasket between the carb and the intake. I need to put a 1/4 spacer on there.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
run that crap out of your gas tank and dumb in some real gas and see what happens.....i guess we missed each other and i dont think the heat helped ......how long have you been driving around with this carb?.....any problems before you added ethonol fuel?.....dont ethonol eat up rubber fuel lines and gaskets if things havent been changed over?

jays69bird

Reaction score
Ok guys been a while since I revisited this one,I did all that was suggested with the exception of getting out the ethonol fuel,reset float level,reset drop,set accel pump,float vent. idle mixture.Few times i had it out seem to run ok,couple of times started hard,this car when it was warm you would click the key started engauged and it was running,sometimes it has to be turned over a bit now even given a tap of the gas pedal.Yesterday I drove from Oswego to Watertown area to look at the charger,probably a 120 mile round trip,I gassed her up with sunoco ultra after getting off the interstate,pulled out of truck stop onto busy road and it fell on its face,pushing down the pedal no power flat on its face with a truck bearing down on me,pulled over she caught and I hammered it chirping tires on the 1-2 upshift.I have owned the car 25 yrs. never did this before,Like I said this happened only once since the carb adjustments.

bstan70rr

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my Edelbrock 600. Stalls on a hard stop and on left hand turns.

I thought this was an Edelbrock problem. I have been keeping an eye on this thread:

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tech-general-engine/531003-engine-stalls-stop-lights.html

As discussed in the thread, my power brakes seem to be robbing the vacuum. I disconnected it and tried to put on a hard brake. I couldn't get it to stall, but I really couldn't get it to stop too quickly either.

Leaning toward the vacuum can--just to see what wil happen. Figure it can't hurt. Where I am going to hide it is more of the issue.

bstan70rr

Reaction score
Woo-hoo!!!

Update: I pulled my Pertronix electronic ignition unit. The moron that installed it also rigged it......................to fail. A new unit, along with a new coil, and I am back up and running strong. My only guess is that it was shifting around slightly and killing my timing. On the other hand, this hasn't always been a problem for the three years I have had it, so maybe the "rigging it" just lead to the eventual failure.

Makes sense, but the fact that it was stalling on left hand turns when applying the brakes still leaves me a bit perplexed. I guess the vacuum change from the power brakes was really throwing it for a loop. But why not on right hand turns?

For those interested, the rigging left the two plates slightly ajar. There was a screwhead that kept them apart slightly.

My apologies to the Edelbrock folks that I have been cussing for the last month.

I guess this might only help one in a million people out there, but with all of the people that were subscribing to the above mentioned thread, perhaps there is something to look at--electronic ignition or points.

V269

Reaction score
bstan70rr said:
I am having the same problem with my Edelbrock 600. Stalls on a hard stop and on left hand turns.

I thought this was an Edelbrock problem. I have been keeping an eye on this thread:

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tech-general-engine/531003-engine-stalls-stop-lights.html

As discussed in the thread, my power brakes seem to be robbing the vacuum. I disconnected it and tried to put on a hard brake. I couldn't get it to stall, but I really couldn't get it to stop too quickly either.

Leaning toward the vacuum can--just to see what wil happen. Figure it can't hurt. Where I am going to hide it is more of the issue.

My car did the stall thing upon quick rpm drops too after I installed my 750 dp holley. Opened up the mixture screws ( richer ) and the stalling disappeared. Work's great after that. :thumbsup: :beep:

Back