• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bought a 69 charger 500 in october off craigs list

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I had a friend that bought a Red Hemi Charger 500 from a used car lot in Albany (I think) around 1970. It had been titled to Chrysler before that. In the early nineties, I was talking to him at a show and Galen Govier was looking at the car. GG looked and got a little excited.. He said he thought it might be the first Charger 500 that was made.

With a little more checking, it appeared the car may have been the one tested by Hot Rod magazine when it was new. IIRC, he talked to the author of the article who rememembered the car. There was some damage to the car while it was in Hot Rod's hands and the car showed it had been repainted in the same area.

The car had about 90% original paint and was pretty nice.

He hung on to the car for a while, vowing never to sell it, but he had some personal problems and the car was sold... before the days of B-J and huge money though...

I don't know where it ended up from there.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is right off of the wwnboa.org website:

"4) This is the engine block VIN stamping. It is located on the right side (passenger's side) of the engine block, just above the oil pan, near the front. Note that only "9B356530" is stamped into the block. Some cars have the complete VIN stamped in their blocks. The stamping of the VIN is done after the engine was painted new. The engines were painted after basic assembly at the engine plant, and the plant had no idea what car they would be used in. The stamping of this VIN on the engine was likely done in Engine Dress Up area, when drivetrains were properly sequenced with the bodies."

Again, it is VERY unusual for ANY '69 block to have a full VIN. In reality you're looking for block stamped "E440" & "HP" on the distributor pad and with the pan rail stamped "9Bxxxxxx".

Ray

moparstuart

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
This is right off of the wwnboa.org website:

"4) This is the engine block VIN stamping. It is located on the right side (passenger's side) of the engine block, just above the oil pan, near the front. Note that only "9B356530" is stamped into the block. Some cars have the complete VIN stamped in their blocks. The stamping of the VIN is done after the engine was painted new. The engines were painted after basic assembly at the engine plant, and the plant had no idea what car they would be used in. The stamping of this VIN on the engine was likely done in Engine Dress Up area, when drivetrains were properly sequenced with the bodies."

Again, it is VERY unusual for ANY '69 block to have a full VIN. In reality you're looking for block stamped "E440" & "HP" on the distributor pad and with the pan rail stamped "9Bxxxxxx".

Ray
There are several charger 500 experts out there and I am by no means one of them but they only made a little under 400 of them . Danny has personally tracked down over 250 of them . From his experence with a few exceptions of having XS vins (all 500s and daytonas started life as R/T's ) stamping . Most got the full vins stamped on the transmission and the engine . THey are still very rare and hard to find , a few come up on ebay . I would only use an xx block if we could prove no one out there had the correct car it was made for . This would just be a perfect case senario . Daytona would also have an XX vin and several of them would have had the vin stamped on the block also .
The run of know cars out there close to my vin has XX vin tags and XX vin stamped on there blocks . here is an example of one that was on ebay

moparstuart

Reaction score
As i stated before I will mostlikely try to find a warranty block 69 70 or 71 would be ideal . but this car will take a long time to restore so I will look for my block or a xx block first . Needle in a haystack I know . If you find me one I will be your best friend . LOL thanks

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
As i stated before I will mostlikely try to find a warranty block 69 70 or 71 would be ideal . but this car will take a long time to restore so I will look for my block or a xx block first . Needle in a haystack I know . If you find me one I will be your best friend . LOL thanks

And if you come across a block stamped "9A286664" I'LL BE YOUR BEST FRIEND...

:D

moparstuart

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparstuart said:

And if you come across a block stamped "9A286664" I'LL BE YOUR BEST FRIEND...

:D
we can swap LOL

Back