• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boy thats aggravating.

DanielB

Reaction score
So a while back i got my heads and block machined bored valve job and all by this shop called womacks over here. 2 months after i notice a tick noise and antifreeze leaking right out of the middle of a freeze plug :brickwall: . They didn't change a freeze plug they ground my valves all different so my non adjustable rocker arm shaft setup no longer worked had to buy adjustable push rods. was really pissed :brickwall: . and now after all this time i feel like my motor just doesn't have the power it should and i been hearing this tick noise and smelling exhaust. I do a compression test on all cylinders and sure enough 120-130 in all but one which had 93 (where i heard the tick around the valve cover). So its back to the shop, but this time its performance wedge (a mopar only shop) :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: hopefully they do a good job with this :toetap: me and my dad checked the cylinder bores they were perfect, new rings and pistons so i know its in the head. but what could it be... :huh:

mcmopar

Reaction score
DanielB said:
So a while back i got my heads and block machined bored valve job and all by this shop called womacks over here. 2 months after i notice a tick noise and antifreeze leaking right out of the middle of a freeze plug :brickwall: . They didn't change a freeze plug they ground my valves all different so my non adjustable rocker arm shaft setup no longer worked had to buy adjustable push rods. was really pissed :brickwall: . and now after all this time i feel like my motor just doesn't have the power it should and i been hearing this tick noise and smelling exhaust. I do a compression test on all cylinders and sure enough 120-130 in all but one which had 93 (where i heard the tick around the valve cover). So its back to the shop, but this time its performance wedge (a mopar only shop) :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: hopefully they do a good job with this :toetap: me and my dad checked the cylinder bores they were perfect, new rings and pistons so i know its in the head. but what could it be... :huh:

Unless you pulled the piston from the suspect cylinder you can't be sure it's perfect. They could well have set all your ring gaps in the same place instead of equidistant from one another (ring gap alternating 60 degrees apart or so). If all the ring gaps are in the same place this would cause a big loss of compression such as you are experiencing.
Other than that, since you had a problem with the valvetrain it may be that one or both of the valves in that cylinder are not fully closing. Perhaps they did not check installed spring height, or perhaps the valve guides need to be milled down (depending on the lift of the cam) and the retainer is striking the top of the guide, thus producing a ticking mechanical noise.
Do not assume anything is "perfect" with that engine after finding the kinds of elementary mistakes you mentioned. Check EVERYTHING while you have it back out - TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED! You certainly don't want to put it back in the car and have more problems because you thought something was right.

DanielB

Reaction score
well we checked the bores with a micrometer so i know they are right. As for the valve train i have no idea whats going on there... it aggravates me. i'm thinking about just taking both heads off and having the valves done again. this time getting a port and polish on them. theres really no telling tomorrow im going to dig a little deeper to see what i can find out.

moparchris

Reaction score
Its these painful lessons that caused me to do all my own work and double, triple check the machine shops work. The only person who cares about your car as much as you do, is you. :cents:

droptop

Reaction score
Did you have hardened seats put in? I have seen some non hardened seats hammered by the valves into the head. A quick way to check this is to remove the rocker shafts and place a strait edge across the stems of the valves. They should all be flush.

Back