• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Drums

Jim S.

Reaction score
Which type were used in 69, Kelsey-Hayes or Motor-Wheel, or both? A lot of people say both on the 11" drums.
I refurbished the brakes a couple years ago and I didn't care then, now I do. If I pull one of the front tires, will I be able to tell the difference? I might buy a few left hand studs from someone (just in case) and they are different depending on the drum. It is also my understanding that the rear drums were all the same manufacturer. I know, I know, change them to righties but, I like the fact that these cars hand lefties on the driver's side.......

mannye

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
Which type were used in 69, Kelsey-Hayes or Motor-Wheel, or both? A lot of people say both on the 11" drums.
I refurbished the brakes a couple years ago and I didn't care then, now I do. If I pull one of the front tires, will I be able to tell the difference? I might buy a few left hand studs from someone (just in case) and they are different depending on the drum. It is also my understanding that the rear drums were all the same manufacturer. I know, I know, change them to righties but, I like the fact that these cars hand lefties on the driver's side.......
This is one of the more confusing topics. I started reading up on it since I drums all around and I literally got a headache from trying to figure out what combo of options came with KH or MW. It seems if you have power steering/brakes you get one brand, and if you only have power brakes, you get another, and so on for a bunch of different combinations. I have a book somewhere that can help. I can try and scan that part or if you PM me your addy, I'll mail it to you and you can send it back when you're done.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mannye said:
Jim S. said:
This is one of the more confusing topics. I started reading up on it since I drums all around and I literally got a headache from trying to figure out what combo of options came with KH or MW. It seems if you have power steering/brakes you get one brand, and if you only have power brakes, you get another, and so on for a bunch of different combinations. I have a book somewhere that can help. I can try and scan that part or if you PM me your addy, I'll mail it to you and you can send it back when you're done.

Jim - I kept the lefties on Bambi too. When I bought the Halibrands last year I had them get me a set of lefties to go with them. Added a couple of weeks to the process IIRC, but I wasn't in a hurry anyway...

Mannye - If you can scan that info maybe you could share it with Rich or Big John so we can add to the reference section.

Ray

mannye

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
mannye said:
[quote="Jim S.":wnv20mpz]Which type were used in 69, Kelsey-Hayes or Motor-Wheel, or both? A lot of people say both on the 11" drums.

Jim - I kept the lefties on Bambi too. When I bought the Halibrands last year I had them get me a set of lefties to go with them. Added a couple of weeks to the process IIRC, but I wasn't in a hurry anyway...

Mannye - If you can scan that info maybe you could share it with Rich or Big John so we can add to the reference section.

Ray[/quote:wnv20mpz]

Ypu got a deal.

Jim S.

Reaction score
Yeah, that would be good stuff for the Ref. section I would think. Thanks, Mannye.
I struck out getting the studs anyway this time around. They are very hard to find.
Dorman quit making them and they are all gone at places like Napa.
There is one place I found that maybe has the right ones.
http://www.apexautosports.com/store.html

mannye

Reaction score
It's been a little crazy at work. So haven't scanned that brake stuff yet. Soon!

Back