• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake light issue

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
My RR has rear turn signals that work but for some strange reason my brake lights and my tail lights are not working. Anyone know where I should start? The bulbs are all fine. Any clue?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Make sure the taillights are grounded.

When you check for ground, take both taillight bulbs out so you aren't returning ground through the bulb filaments.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I had a similar problem, mine was the turn signal switch

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
Is the switch an easy repair? I would have never took a guess of it being that, Once again :worship: I would be lost without you guys.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
my problem was, I had both taillights, both turn signals, but only one brke light. I had to move the switch lever to get both brake lights. Ended up replacing the turn signal switch. easy job if that's it.

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
Turn signal switch is an easy repair, gotta pull the steering wheel though.

How did you guy's figure it was the turn signal switch? I would have never thought that either. It's odd because your turn signals DO work, but your brake and tail lights DO NOT.

My first thought was a bad brake switch, bad bulb or bad ground. I learned that even though a bulb lights, doesn't mean it works. I had a problem where when I turned on the left turn signal and it just stayed lit (didn't blink). Turns out it was the bulb. My Scamp had a dim right brake light, turns out that was a ground.

Only reason I replaced my turn signal switch was because the little arms were broken off and it didn't return after a turn.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had the EXACT same scenario with the wife's Swinger; the culprit turned out to be the connector from the column to the main underdash harness. It was plugged in, but just not making good contact. After she lost the brake lights twice and got all freaked out about it I zip-tied the freakin' connector together. THAT took care of that little problem...

Ray

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
I took it apart and gave it a serious cleaning as well as replaced the bulbs and cleaned all contacts and grounds everything works now. Thanks Guys :cheers:

Back