• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Oddity

Ranger

Reaction score
Car stops fine . As you may recall, after purchasing the car in Dec. I replaced all 4 wheel cylinders and front shoes (rears where still good). I notice when I stop on gravel, the rears (usually drivers side) will lock and skid. I have even backed off a tad on the adjustment, but it still persists. I do not believe it has a proportioning valve. Anyone ever experience this or have any thoughts?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Diff oil on the shoes? Look at both sides and see if the axle seals are leaking, if you topped off the diff and park at an angle it will run out.

Ranger

Reaction score
I don't think the seals are leaking. Never topped off the Differential. Unlike the trans, it was full.

quikbird

Reaction score
If just one side locks up early the problem is in that brake, if both do, you need a proportion valve. If you have one in the line to the back it will probably be hiding down low along the frame rail, under the brake master cylinder, drivers side

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Check the shoes for contamination like Bob says. The contamination doesn't necessarily come from the axle seals. Someone putting them together with greasy hands can do it too. You mentioned changing the wheel cylinders, brake fluid leaking on the shoes will cause this problem.

Also check if the shoes are on correctly. Longer shoe towards the rear of the car. That happens a lot.

If it were me I would change the shoes and the hardware and get it over and done with. You have some unknown problems left over from the previous owner. You can chase your tall trying to find the issue when $50 worth of parts will take care of it. Do it once, do it right and get out and enjoy the car.

Ranger

Reaction score
Just ran across this thread and figured I should update it.

It seems that all that was needed was a readjustment and wear in. All is well now (in the rear).

Back