• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Question

V269

Reaction score
A while back I did some work on my brakes. I noticed that there was no self adjusters on my car. I could see maybe one being taken off or something but all 4 were completely missing. Did some car's have them and other's not ? Not a big deal to me but was just wondering why they were not there. :huh:
Ken.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This topic has been touched on here before. That was how it came, Ken. It hasn't been monkeyed with and you're not missing anything.

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
This topic has been touched on here before. That was how it came, Ken. It hasn't been monkeyed with and you're not missing anything.

I just finished the front and rear of a 383 car and no self adjusters, I just had to knock the pin out of the new shoes for adjusters. What ever you do don't loose the spring that goes over the adjusting star at the bottom of the shoes I haven't found a source for new ones!

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
i just did rear shoes and same thing manual adjusters.....got new shoes from Nappa and when i put them on with the adjusters screwed all the way in i had some job getting the drums on.....anyway i said they will wear in.....took her for a ride and could hardly move......i said screw it and took her for a ride.....when i got back to passenger side was really smoking.....pulled the drum off and the top and bottom of the shoes were like shredded.....got 1/2 a set and swapped her out.....still coulded adjust it.....seemed like too much brake shoe....they will wear in

V269

Reaction score
Thank's Ray. Could not remember if these car's had them or not. :thumbsup:

Bob I'll keep that in mind the next time I have to replace the shoe's. :cheers:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:

I just finished the front and rear of a 383 car and no self adjusters, I just had to knock the pin out of the new shoes for adjusters. What ever you do don't loose the spring that goes over the adjusting star at the bottom of the shoes I haven't found a source for new ones!
when i bought the new shoes he also got me the hardware kit.......all springs included.....NAPPA....THE GOOD STUFF :D

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:

when i bought the new shoes he also got me the hardware kit.......all springs included.....NAPPA....THE GOOD STUFF :D
That's where I shop but they have a different style spring for the bottom which is intended for self adjusters :thumbsup:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
my spring works perfect.....nappa part # 3006201 and below that #0511/se.....thats the whole hardware kit..... :D

Back