• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bryan_H Intro

Bryan_H

Reaction score
Hello! I'm now a first time classic muscle car owner. Just this past weekend, I purchased my Uncle's 1969 Roadrunner which has been in our family for going on 18 years now. He is moving on in retirement and looking forward to relaxing, and selling his beloved Roadrunner was painful, but also part of his eventual retirement plan. Over the years, I've gained so much love and respect for my Uncle and his Roadrunner that I couldn't bear to see it leave the family, for his sake and for the car's sake....so I bought it instead of allowing it to go elsewhere. Even though I have no major 'real' experience with building or re-building cars, I intend to learn- to continue on with this vehicle, and hopefully keep it in my family, with my two young sons, for them to pass on to my grandchildren one day. I will need a lot of help along the way and hope to gain some of the knowledge that I need from others who are more experienced. I appreciate any help and insight that you might have- and hope you w

Bryan_H

Reaction score
Thanks! Well, my Uncle never raced the car, but I do know that he bought it from someone who did. The prior owner is the one who pulled the 383 and dropped in the current 440, about 17-18 years ago. It's a mild build- still plenty of power for me. That prior owner had the 6-bbl carb on the car, but went back to the 4-bbl because he said it turned better times.

It's an original 4-speed car with the original tranny. Still has drum brakes all the way around- which, frankly, bugs the heck out of me cause I can't get used to them, and they pull me all over the road when I'm braking.

Other than the 440, no other major modifications (sans the paint color) have been made to the car. Original bench seats, dash, etc. The body is good and really doesn't need any work. I have a few things that I want to do, right off the bat- such as clean up the wiring under the dash and in the engine bay, a better radiator, and figure out something with those brakes! But, as my wife keeps having to convince me---- all in good time....

droptop

Reaction score
Welcome from Southern Indiana. Drum brakes do take some getting use to. Sounds like you may need to adjust them.

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
Jegs makes a front manual disc setup for it for just a shade under 500$ They aren't the greatest setup out there but if you're on a budget and want to get a little bit closer to modern feel they are a pretty good buy. Like the member above said, def. need to adjust the ones that are on it if they're pulling. You have a couple of options there as well. Can either attempt to do it by hand or you can by a self adjuster setup that will make it easier now and in the future when you need new shoes. look to spend a 15-20 per wheel on those.

I'd say welcome but since I'm new here myself it seems a little hypocritical!

Bryan_H

Reaction score
Yes- let's welcome each other to the forum....as the two newest members!

Obviously, everyone I know is recommending that I change the fronts over to Wildwood- which, as I'm reading it, will cost me more than $1200 in parts. I did see the Jegs package for around $500...and I was likely planning to land somewhere in the middle-- perhaps with Summit, who offers a package for around $850 or so.

Any feedback on the Summit conversion? Reliability? Price? Satisfaction? I appreciate your input--- I know you're a new member, but from what I read in your introduction, you've been at this a heck of a lot longer than me!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. The brakes are Non self adjusting for performance purposes, sounds like the need snugged up.

earlyrides

Reaction score
Welcome from SoCal.
I have used the 4-wheel disc setup from Master power and really like the system.
It has a small power booster and they have a package deal that includes everything from the booster to the master cylinder, all of the brake lines prebent in stainless steel, proportining valve and all of the new brackets installed on new spindles up front and new brackets and calipers for the rear along with an emergency brake.
best of all the pads and calipers can be purchased anytime in the future from any chain parts store.
http://www.mpbrakes.com

mcmopar

Reaction score
Welcome Bryan. Congrats on getting the car and keeping it in the family. Looks like a nice one.

moparmonk

Reaction score
Big Welcome from Maine. Some pretty sharp people here and a lot of fun too. The only problem I have found is I find myself holding the keyboard down on the table instead of wrenching in the garage where I should be!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well hey neighbor(well almost) I'm about 45 minutes from Robinson in Ohio. we have another member in Pittsburgh too.
sweet looking runner(but we need a few dozen more pics...:D)Looks like it has Cragar SS on it :thumbsup:
maunal brakes take a little getting used to. I've had them since '83, and I like them fine. It sounds like your need soe adjusting. They are manually adusted, and if they aren't close, they will pull you one way or another. Or you may have a wheel cylinder leaking. Neither is hard to take care of.
Do you ever get down to Beaver in August for the big Hot Summer Nights show? About 2-3000 cars, classics,hot rods, muscle cars.

Bryan_H

Reaction score
Welcome from SoCal.
I have used the 4-wheel disc setup from Master power and really like the system.
It has a small power booster and they have a package deal that includes everything from the booster to the master cylinder, all of the brake lines prebent in stainless steel, proportining valve and all of the new brackets installed on new spindles up front and new brackets and calipers for the rear along with an emergency brake.
best of all the pads and calipers can be purchased anytime in the future from any chain parts store.
http://www.mpbrakes.com

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely research Master Power, too! I really do appreciate the feedback- thank you!

Bryan_H

Reaction score
well hey neighbor(well almost) I'm about 45 minutes from Robinson in Ohio. we have another member in Pittsburgh too.
sweet looking runner(but we need a few dozen more pics...:D)Looks like it has Cragar SS on it :thumbsup:
maunal brakes take a little getting used to. I've had them since '83, and I like them fine. It sounds like your need soe adjusting. They are manually adusted, and if they aren't close, they will pull you one way or another. Or you may have a wheel cylinder leaking. Neither is hard to take care of.
Do you ever get down to Beaver in August for the big Hot Summer Nights show? About 2-3000 cars, classics,hot rods, muscle cars.

Hey neighbor! Yes, I've been down to (what we call) the Big Beaver car show a few times- it's definitely a good time. It seems we definitely do not have a shortage of car shows here in the Ohio Valley area- which isn't a bad thing!

When I got my car from my Uncle, he told me that he left me a "few" of his Dash Plaques in the glove box- because he wanted to "get me started with a few" for when I start going to shows. Recall- he only left me a few....... and I opened the glove box and found about 25-30 Dash Plaques in there from various shows around Western PA and Eastern OH from over the years! I can't imagine how many more of those he kept with him!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
sure seems like a lack of shows to me. the few I do hear about, I'm usually at work, or will be at work since I work 21 turn. The Beaver Show was the only one I made this year.

Back