• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Build dates

Ranchboss

Reaction score
I need a little help from people more knowledgeable than me. I have a 69 Road Runner, the date code on the fender tag is 920. Would this be Sep 20, 1968 or 1969?

MoparDan

Reaction score
I need a little help from people more knowledgeable than me. I have a 69 Road Runner, the date code on the fender tag is 920. Would this be Sep 20, 1968 or 1969?
Welcome from Virginia. As I understand it. Actual build dates were not recorded.

The date on the tag is the SPD (scheduled production date) which is the date they hoped to build the car when the order was first entered into the system.

Actual builds varied & were not recorded anywhere on the cars. So 920 would be Sept 20th. However, Usually by September they were building the next model year. So I would expect your car was built Sep 1968.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
My car was a late production 1968 car. It is a 69 car but early. How do I know it is that stupid hood was a 68. Ordered the 69 hood and it did not have the latch catch in the right place. Also, the latch did not come close to going into the hood. So had to return it and get the 68 hood.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If you have the original exterior door handles some of the early 69s got left over 68 handles with black buttons. Some not all

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
Welcome from Virginia. As I understand it. Actual build dates were not recorded.

The date on the tag is the SPD (scheduled production date) which is the date they hoped to build the car when the order was first entered into the system.

Actual builds varied & were not recorded anywhere on the cars. So 920 would be Sept 20th. However, Usually by September they were building the next model year. So I would expect your car was built Sep 1968.
I would bet the production number on the tag would be pretty low for a 69 built in Sep 68.

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
No that's the order number. It should be the last 6 numbers on the tag. It should match the last 6 digits of your VIN. Mine is 254539 and my build date was April 24th.

Back