• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bulkhead

mac

What ?
Reaction score

V.R.D

Reaction score
that blue scotch lock never use them they cut the strands of wire witch raise the resistance.

Last edited:

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Its difficult to tell from your photo. Which bulkhead socket does the red wire enter?
I'm not sure that is why I was hoping to identify by number or letter. I'm gonna get close and check it this weekend.

Carl Ray

Reaction score
From what I can see from the pic and wiring diagram you should not have a red wire there, knowing which cavity it occupies will possibly help identify the circuit.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
The plug top left is for wiper motor. The red wire should have been the fusible link for ignition switch. Put the fusible link back in. Looks like someone cut it out. Wiring can be confusing but take your time and it will make since. There is a diagram here in the service manual which I also had to use along with the colored chart I got. It states on these charts 383 or 426. at the bottom pay attention to that. Hope Ya get it all figured out. Russ.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
The plug top left is for wiper motor. The red wire should have been the fusible link for ignition switch. Put the fusible link back in. Looks like someone cut it out. Wiring can be confusing but take your time and it will make since. There is a diagram here in the service manual which I also had to use along with the colored chart I got. It states on these charts 383 or 426. at the bottom pay attention to that. Hope Ya get it all figured out. Russ.
Thanks

MoparDan

Reaction score
Last edited:

Russ Hood

Reaction score
I ordered a fusible link and new bulkhead from classic industries . Should be here Wednesday. Gonna order wiring harness next.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score

MoparDan

Reaction score
It says it is an American Autowire Harness and has the same number as the $1000.00 one sold at Jegs. I understand your trepidation. If I hadn't already bought it, I don't know if I would take a chance either. But $600.00 less can buy a lot of other needed parts.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Lucky me. Before I retired I was in a communications shop and we had a cable shop across the way. I was able to get the correct color and gauge wires and most of the connectors to rebuild mind where needed. You are correct about 52 year old wiring MoparDan. The resistance increases over time especially in long wires and the insulation hardens. Fortunately mine was not hacked into like most are. We had to have that FM stereo 8 track or cassette back then huh?

MoparDan

Reaction score
Sure did. Whether you go with a kit or build it yourself, good luck to you. The wiring in my 70 is a mess. The insulation is dry, brittle and cracked. I justified the $1000.00 by thinking that it would be a shame to spend thousands of dollars and countless hours to restore it and then burn it down.

Dan

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
It is worth every cent spent on new wiring. Being and X electrician. Know that old wire can cause problem's and possible a fire. I can sleep at night knowing that my wiring is new. By adding aftermarket, A/C needed the circuit for that. Also put four speed console, in so needed that wire also. Year one is where I got mine. They were slow on some of it to come in. Had good support when having questions also. Not saying they are cheaper in price for sure. But know a lot of guys use their product's. Good luck and stay safe.

Back