• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam Selection Help

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey guys, as I've posted before, we're switching out my 383 to a 440 stroker 505 motor. We're going to use as many parts from the 383 as we can, but wanted to see if you thought my cam will suffice for the bigger motor. I'm using Comp Cams XE275HL.http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=711&sb=2

Should this be big enough (probably a bit too big for the 383?). I have ported Eddy Performer RPM aluminum heads that flow pretty well, so wanted to take full advantage.

Any thoughts on a good streetable stick that will get the most from the 505 build?

Thanks,

John

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
One of the best cams I ever had is when I called the tech support at the cam company I liked. I gave them the specs of my car weight engine trans and intended use and used their suggest cam. Try that with a couple of cam companies and see what they suggest.

cj69RR

Reaction score
X2, call a couple company's and get their input. My last build I did that and very happy with it. Exactly what I wanted without going to big or not big enough.

quikbird

Reaction score
I have run a cam very similar to the one you have in my stroker and it did very well. it should work fine. keep lifters with correct lobes and check spring pressures to make sure they will be ok

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I've called cam companies before and been directed to shafts that worked well. But I've always thought that each company was likely to be prejudiced towards their own grinds and were most likely to suggest 'off the shelf' cams. I think one of the options to look into is to contact an experienced Mopar engine builder that has specialized in squeezing as much power as possible out of stroker engines. If I might make a suggestion:

http://www.mrlperformance.com/

Mike Liston is the owner. He is really good at giving advice even if you're not doing business with him. 989-845-1547 is his phone #. He has successfully competed in national Mopar engine building competitions. I'm having him build a 408 stroker for me that should be pushing close to 550 HP and maintain decent street reliability on pump gas. He's in Michigan.

mcmopar

Reaction score
I have the XE275HL-10 in my 383 and it is just fine. I have an Edelbrock Performer RPM with a Holley 750, ported 452 heads, 1.6 roller rockers resulting in .560" lift, a set of TTI 1-7/8" headers, a 3" TTI exhaust system with Magnaflow mufflers and 3.55 gears in the rear end with a Sure Grip. I can cruise around town at 30 mph in 4th gear easily enough and the idle sounds quite nice. The bad thing about this cam is the low idle vacuum (10.5") and it smells "dirty". I believe it is due to the 110 degree c/l. Other than that it works well and makes great power. It will be too small for a 505. You'd be better off with the XE285HL-10 for the big motor or else a hydraulic roller. Mopar Muscle just did a comparison between one of Comp's hydraulic rollers and the XE275HL-10. You'd need a bigger hydraulic roller for the 505. If I were spec'ing a new cam I'd seriously consider a new hydraulic roller if I had the coin especially since you can get large lifts and still have a very streetable idle and vacuum.

Last edited:

quikbird

Reaction score
I just installed a new quad cam hydraulic roller from comp for my stroker. Haven't fired it up yet but anxiously looking forward to doing so. These are a custom grind with the inner and outer cylinders are different grind and lobe angle center lines. The cost for hyd. Roller lifters are pretty pricey around 5-600 bucks per set which is also a big factor. Keep us informed on your pick and how well it works for you please.

JJRJR

Reaction score
Thanks guys, great advice. I'll keep posting about the new build as we move forward.
Best,
John

inri

Reaction score
JJRJR,
You can buy a cam "off the shelf" or for roughly the same amount of money you can get a custom cam ground for your "SPECIFIC" application.

Back