• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

car cuts out when putting in gear

dmartin

Reaction score
when you put car in drive or reverse it tends to want to choke down is it my timing or is it my carb needs to be adjusted(very embarassing going anywhere and stop at light and car wants to cut off) HELP!!!

dmartin

Reaction score
i've got it idled a little high but don't want it to sound like its going to run away

moparchris

Reaction score
Its probably a few things working all together. Most common is the distributor curve. When you put it in gear the idle drops a little and this allows the centrifugal advance to take away a few degrees of timing which makes less power and also drops the RPM more which happens over and over until it stalls.

dmartin

Reaction score
Its probably a few things working all together. Most common is the distributor curve. When you put it in gear the idle drops a little and this allows the centrifugal advance to take away a few degrees of timing which makes less power and also drops the RPM more which happens over and over until it stalls.

So how do you correct it

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
First open the distributer put a vacuum pump on it and see if it works or at idle with a tachometer pull the vacuum hose off and plug it toward the carb ant see if the idle drops. If adjustable an allen wrench goes right down the nipple, as to what direction look at a service manual unless some one on here knows off hand.

dmartin

Reaction score
First open the distributer put a vacuum pump on it and see if it works or at idle with a tachometer pull the vacuum hose off and plug it toward the carb ant see if the idle drops. If adjustable an allen wrench goes right down the nipple, as to what direction look at a service manual unless some one on here knows off hand.

I have moved the vacuum lines around on the carb to distr but nothing changed but if I put my finger over the hose coming from distr it wants to die down

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I would refer to the service manual to see how much advance should be in the pod. Of coarse if you changed the cam its a guessing game if the factory adjustments don't help. I would guess at that point you might need more vacuum timing, but check the air fuel mixture at idle aslo.

dmartin

Reaction score
Yea I have a 440 4 bbl auto trany my cam is a little bigger than stock can't remember what specs it is but I rebuilt the motor and trany

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moparchris

Reaction score
Vacuum advance has nothing to do at idle. Its fed by ported vacuum (which is from high speed airflow through the carb venturi) and ported vacuum only comes into play when the carb is running off the main booster venturi. So I would say find a high performance tuner/dyno shop to recurve your distributor. Or you can by an MSD distributor and set the curve using the supplied springs and stop bushing and more importantly the instructions.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I'm thinking the of the non ported vacuum in earlier cars which can be done, the ported was for emissions purposes. I would give full vacuum a try still, easy enough to reverse.

Last edited:
Back