• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb Issues

sax69

Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion on a carb replacement to the original AVS on a stock rebuilt 383 auto?
The AVS starts and runs fine until I put my foot in it. It dives, backfires a bit and when it does come out of it just does not seem strong at all. Put an electronic ingnition in it last year thinking that was the problem to no avail.
Current AVS is missing some of the choke parts and I think it may be time to look a different way. I would like something I could bolt on and with minimal adjustment get running well.

Thanks

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
sax69 said:
Does anyone have a suggestion on a carb replacement to the original AVS on a stock rebuilt 383 auto?
One of the smaller CFM (600-650) Edelbrock Performer or Thunder carbs would probably be the closest thing to a direct replacement as far as new carbs go.

sax69 said:
The AVS starts and runs fine until I put my foot in it. It dives, backfires a bit and when it does come out of it just does not seem strong at all. Put an electronic ingnition in it last year thinking that was the problem to no avail.
Have you gone through and checked everything else before assigning complete blame to the carb? Fuel pressure, fuel filter, timing, advance curve, etc.???

sax69 said:
Current AVS is missing some of the choke parts and I think it may be time to look a different way. I would like something I could bolt on and with minimal adjustment get running well. Thanks
You could always have a reputable carb shop go through the AVS and get it back to 100%. I'd rather have the correct, original carb in perfect working order than a new non-correct one - but that's just my :cents:

Ray

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I have a Carter 4682 AVS on my car because like Ray, I want my cars to look stock whit the correct parts. It runs fine whether I'm driving easy or clearing it's throat. As Ray said, have someone look at it and get it 100% and I'll bet it will be fine!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I'll bet the air valve on the secondary is adjusted so it opens too fast.

mannye

Reaction score
Just my :cents:

I actually went the other way because the Edelbrock equivalent to the AVS is far inferior to a well tuned OE carb. My prediction is that you will be disappointed by the Edelbrock replacement, or at least underwhelmed.

I would give your carb, as others have said, to a reputable rebuilder and see what happens. If you're not happy after that, I'm sure there will be someone waiting to buy it for more than you spent on the rebuild.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Could be a weak accel pump.

A good rebuild might be just the ticket. I think the Eddy carbs are good except the 1407/1411.

sax69

Reaction score
Thank you for the help fellas.
After reading your posts I have decided to try and get the AVS running better, and looking at the posts it seems that the logical culprits would be the accelerator pump or the flapper for the secondary.
I took the top of the carb off exposing the floats and such and examined the accel pump and all seemed well here.
There are three places to hook the linkage to the accel pump. I assume each hole changes how much fuel is pushed and I will experiment with those settings.
manually priming the pump does sould like it is working.

I think the other mention in the posts refers to the amount of spring pressure that is required to open the secondary flaps.
The pressure seemed very light to me so I increased it a little. Is there any science to this or is it all experimenting?

Snow and cold here so I don't even want to open my garage door right now.

Thanks for your help

Back