• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb likes cool air, too rich?

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
The 1411 Eddy carb I have on the 383 seems to run much much better when things cool down. I had leaned it out before and it would barely run. Maybe not go so lean?

It is the electric choke version of the 750. I know that is a crap carb but it was on there and actually works pretty good except for WOT. Even when it is hot out it does well except for WOT. It has been cool and rainy the last day or so and seems much better.

I have a near stock engine, save headers and Holley Street Dominator intake. Heat riser is blocked. Car has yet to go above 180 on water temp that I know of. Plugs look good, pretty even burn. Some look oily but not carbon built up oily, kinda wet. Almost like a some holes are getting too much fuel and others get just right. Doesn't really seem to burn much if any oil. I think what I do lose is more from small leaks around the pan.

I went from just a gasket to a 1/4 spacer/ isolator that was in a new AVS rebuild kit. A one ich loks a little too tight to try. The correct AVS I have has a broken off idel screw and the 440 AVS I have has a stripped idle screw, so those options are off the table for now.

The smaller AVS has just the tip of the screw broken off in there and not really enough meat to try an extracotr on. I think I will take it to a machine shop. A helicoil would likely fix the big one but I'm having a hard time justify doing that right now. Maybe later.

Back