• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb problem

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
750 Eddy. Put new accelerator pump in. Not much if any better. Went and put fresh gas in it. Carb ran fine before on 440, rejetted to stock 383 specs.

Could the metering rods be wrong for this app and be causing this. It bucks, backfires through carb every once and awhile.

Timing is is 10/34, will likely try 12/36 once this is sorted out.

I don't think there is a vaccum leak but I will look hards. Can't be very many places to leak on this car, no PB.

Huge deadspot if you try and go 1/2 throttle or so. Does fine if you let the clutch out or if you go about 3/4 throttle. Seems ok at a steady cruise.

Do I just need to let the older gas run out?

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
just for the hell of it take off the distributor cap and inspect it for corrision and carbon tracks...then look at the cap....got to top dead center on the timing mark and check out where # 1 is on the cap..see if the cap is pointing there..maybe you jumped a tooth on the timing chain....suck on the hose going to the vacumun advance and see if the plate is moving....maybe thats bad.....you could also have a vacumun leak somewhere also...could also be those metering rods also....these are for float level....this will cause a bog and starve for gas too....let us know what you find....are you driving the car when its raining?....there is so many things it could be

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
No rain.

dizzy is timed right, checked that on button down list.

Not sure on vac, forgot to plug it off on this test.

I put richer (smaller dia) metering rods in it and it helped. Might need to go up on the jets????

Also installed stiffer springs but don't have the stiffest ones Eddy has in the strip kit as I used those a feew years ago on another car.

Ran better this trip out. Still has massive dead spot.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Got it guys!!!!!!!

I put the factory 750 Eddy jets back in. Guess it is too much air for 69 383 jetting since that was a smaller carb. Pretty dumb of me to change it to that in hindsight.

:drive:

I still have a list of stuff to fix, but at least now it is a functional car.

Thanks for the help :cheers:

Back