• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb question??

cj69RR

Reaction score
Question for you all. I have a 600 cfm eddy on my mostly stock 383 4 speed 69 runner. Local guy has a Holley 670 avenger vac carb for sale or trade and I'm thinking my runner would like the Holley better than the one that's on it now? Thanks for any input.

inri

Reaction score
Personally, I'm not a fan of eddy carbs. I like their heads, but not their carbs. I would get a Holley!

P.S what is the reason for the sale of the Holley carb? Make sure its A-OK :)

inri

Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with the size of carb for a mostly stock 383. I would think 600 or 650 cfm would be ideal; not sure what the factory came with? None the less if your not having any issues why make a change?

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
i'm not too familiar with the size of carb for a mostly stock 383. I would think 600 or 650 cfm would be ideal; not sure what the factory came with? None the less if your not having any issues why make a change?

the need for speed i guess

droptop

Reaction score
I think a stock 383 AVS is 625 cfm's. Go with the Holly if the Eddy is giving you problems, and if you can get it for a good price. That shouldn't be to much carb. I always thought that a stock 383 was under carbed to begin with.:cents:

cj69RR

Reaction score
$140 for the carb. Stock 383's were anything from 600-750's I believe? And the eddy has a stumble from cruise to full throttle. I'm way more familiar with Holley's than eddys also.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I alway's liked the AVS. My truck has an Eddy on it. It's ok,,,,but It'll get an AVS soon I hope.
The runner has a Holley on it, and I like it.

mcmopar

Reaction score
That Holley will be just fine for a stock 383. The original AVS was rated around 600 cfm but was actually smaller from some accounts I've read. The 383 really was under carbed a bit. The old trick used to be to get an AVS from a 440 and plop it down in place of the original for more cfm.

A31PKG

Reaction score
That Holley will be just fine for a stock 383. The original AVS was rated around 600 cfm but was actually smaller from some accounts I've read. The 383 really was under carbed a bit. The old trick used to be to get an AVS from a 440 and plop it down in place of the original for more cfm.

I did that to my 68 'Bee years ago...man, it really woke that 383 up!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I'd like to get an AVS for mine, but too many irons on the fire

Rawone

Reaction score
Stumble and fluttering if carb related could be too rich. A bog is too lean...a big gulp of air and not enuff fuel...I would try the holley myself.:tennis:

cj69RR

Reaction score
Will do the checks suggested. Also did some research on the eddy carbs and looks like they only like about 3 lbs of fuel pressure. So maybe a pressure regulator will be on the menu also?

Back