• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Caring for black paint

mannye

Reaction score
Oh yeah! Like I said before, nothing like a black runner! Sounds like you really want it black, so go for it!

moparchris

Reaction score
Someone once said "Once you go black you never go back!"

As a side note to keep this thread on track, I missed the pics of droptop's cars. I think the pic madam let me down. :toetap:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I have a love/hate relationship with black cars. I will swear off them and then one will wag its shiny fender at me and the next thing I know I'm washing and waxing and washing and waxing.

My last black car was my Grand Prix GTP. I brought the paint on this one back from the dead. Somewhere along the line someone used a buffer the wrong way and almost destroyed the paint. A lot of time with 3M swirl remover got it looking decent and then a couple coats of Zaino to keep it looking good.

NFJune06_0250.jpg

Obligatory "clouds in the hood" shot.
NFJune06_0243.jpg

If you want to go black (God, I love black cars) you have to step it up to another level. You can't buy stuff off the shelf at Walmart anymore. You need to look at either Zaino or my new favorite, Adams polishes. Zaino is probably a better product for black cars, with their Z-8 spray being just about blinding. IMHO,Adams stuff is a little easier to use and I like their customer service much better.

Here's my ummm... Bricklin with Adams Buttery wax followed by their detail spray. Not bad for 19 year old GM paint that wasn't all the good when it was brand new. The picture doesn't do it justice, it looks better in person.
Corvette3smudge.jpg

As I said, black cars are great, but figure on a lot of time (God I hate black cars) cleaning and waxing.

Collin

Reaction score
my truck is black and what a nightmare. Every water mark shows, every scratch, every swirl. But when I take the time to compound it, use mothers glaze on it, then use linesmans wax on it its like a mirror and looks badass. So if you have the time and the elbow grease, I say it will look awesome! :cents:

Big John

Reaction score
Collin said:
my truck is black and what a nightmare. Every water mark shows, every scratch, every swirl. But when I take the time to compound it, use mothers glaze on it, then use linesmans wax on it its like a mirror and looks badass. So if you have the time and the elbow grease, I say it will look awesome! :cents:

Linesmans wax??? The stuff for pulling wires?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
my truck is black, and so far it's not too bad keeping clean. when I see some dirt, I break out the fizzy can......... :lol: at least I have it down to one color now.

bstan70rr

Reaction score
I will throw yall a curve ball here.

I am in the process of block sanding my first black paint job--found a bunch of little things I missed in the bodywork.

The paint is dulling, but I am really starting to like the look. Reminds me of Stallone's lead sled from his bad ass cop movie--can't remember the name of it. Anyway, not sure leaving it like this is even a possibility. More importantly, I am not sure I want to keep hearing, "when you gonna paint that thing"?

found the movie: Cobra, 1997
http://media.photobucket.com/image/cobra lead sled/pwright805/1949_Mercury_Lead_Sled.jpg

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mannye said:
Oh yeah! Like I said before, nothing like a black runner! Sounds like you really want it black, so go for it!

'69 Dart - not a RR...

Can't think of any (original) color I don't like on a '69 Dart...you gonna put a rump stripe on it? Vinyl top? I'd start photoshopping some color combos and see what you come up with that really floats your boat... Our '70 Dart is F4 - which is not at the top of my color list - but with a black vinyl top and black rump stripe it really looks sharp. You need to figure out the entire physical appearance for the car; not just the paint color.

Living on a dirt road - you're gonna play hell keeping it clean no matter what color you go with. You want black - then paint it black... :cents:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
By the way I am planning to paint the turbo dart black with a red gut. None better.

Red rump stripe too??? :worship: :worship: :worship:

I call "Shotgun"...and I don't care if Bob's legs are longer than mine... :lol:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparchris said:
By the way I am planning to paint the turbo dart black with a red gut. None better.

Hey, were you looking at my legs :lmao:

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:

Hey, were you looking at my legs :lmao:

Thats all he can see with that big damn sombrero on! :lmao:

I haven't decided on a stripe or not, although i think it would look neat with red emblems. Rides for all my friends till I loose my license! :redx:

Collin

Reaction score
Big John said:
Collin said:

Yep! That's the stuff! They sell it at a performance shop around town here. My father first discovered it while trying to find something to shine up his corvette. The stuff goes on a tiny bit greasier than regular wax, but man what a job it does. I brought back a mirrored finish to a 2004 Ram that's a daily driver and tows on the weekend to the farms. I used the mothers 3 step process. First was the mothers compound, then the mothers sealers glaze, and then we substituted the linesmans wax.

Big John

Reaction score
Collin said:
Big John said:
Collin said:

Yep! That's the stuff! They sell it at a performance shop around town here. My father first discovered it while trying to find something to shine up his corvette. The stuff goes on a tiny bit greasier than regular wax, but man what a job it does. I brought back a mirrored finish to a 2004 Ram that's a daily driver and tows on the weekend to the farms. I used the mothers 3 step process. First was the mothers compound, then the mothers sealers glaze, and then we substituted the linesmans wax.

Any chance that this is what you are talking about?

insulator-new1.jpg

Back