• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Caring for black paint

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Looks like my car will be heading for body/paint soon. I am having a hell of a time trying to decide what color. Living on a silty dirt road is not helping, it is about 1.5 miles til pavement. Anyway, one of my many choices is Tuxedo Black, seen a Ford Flex covered in it last week. While I like black paint, the image of swirls is running thru my head. How to you keep them swirl free??? Ever since I can remember I have wanted my car to be white with a flat black hood, and now that I am getting closer to paint I am having a hard time decideing about it....and all this thinking is making my head hurt.... :brickwall:

solid gold

Reaction score
A black car is only clean for 1/2 hour! My painter tries to talk people out of black cars. He can lay it down, but it's a bit** keeping it that way. White, (for you), might be a better choice, since you have a road issue! Just my opinion! T5 is nice! It's dark, but not too dark. Anyway, the person spending the money has the final call! Some people wait until paint day to pull the trigger,I've heard! :crazy:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
you will be a slave to black keeping her clean and waxed and she has to be straight as an arrow for black......white or silver doesnt show the back road dirt as much but its your call :acme:

droptop

Reaction score
Black is VERY HIGH MAINT. I use the Wax Attack Polisher from Mother's (link below) with some swirl remover when doing any of my black vehicles. I have 6 of them. :loco: There is nothing that I have used that is any better, or easier to use for a deep shine without any swirls. But if you live on a gravel road......I would consider any other color but black. :cents:

https://store.mothers.com/product_info. ... cts_id=110

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hey Doug. Just got back from meeting John and looking your car over. Johns a nice guy had a nice talk, he remembers seeing my car prior to the restoration, anyway I like the direction your going with the Dart and I love black but only if its on somebody else's car :thumbsup:

moparchris

Reaction score
I love black myself, although I sold my black Runner when I lost indoor storage. It is tough to keep clean especially on a dirt road. When its clean and right there is no other color that can compare.

mannye

Reaction score
Ditto on black being the coolest color for a RR! A triple black ragtop being the blackest car ever made especially with the flat black hood stripes against that shiny liquid black!

But man oh man will you be washing waxing washing waxing every week! And if your bodyman left even the slightest little blemish, that paint is going to announce every little imperfection from across the street!

Road Runner quarter panels are big, but they seem like football fields when you have to block sand all that acreage! Not to mention the doors! So unless you are positive you have a dead smooth perfect surface, keep it light! (Yellow being the color most forgiving of slight bodywork imperfections)

sam z

Reaction score
My car will be painted soon but I'm in the red camp.

Anyway, I saw a black RR in the coral at Carlisle. Oh my it looked mean. Just can't
pull the trigger on the black though for all the reasons mentioned above.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
mannye said:
(Yellow being the color most forgiving of slight bodywork imperfections)

:huh: apparently the guy that painted mine yellow musta not heard this, or mine has more than "Slight" imperfections (must be why I have news skins for it. ):lol: although from 30 or 40 feet it looks pretty good.

meepbeep69

Reaction score
Droptop.

Does that wax work on 30-45 day old basecoat clearcoat paint?

I have a little bit of rubbing to make it just right then want to lay on some wax.

The way you were describing the triple black car I was even getting excited. That is until I remembered my two black cars and my vow to myself.

My last company car was sport blue. It is a nice color and stays clean looking. The other one just came in and it is a dove white. I figure two washings through the winter and with the road salt I can say it is a flat silver.

I put about 45-50K on them a year and white, silver or light blue look good long after you wash them.

Go green....be different plus they make great parts cars should you ever need to recycle!

inkjunkie

Reaction score
I spoke with the body guy the other day, he suggested I steer clear of black, just because of the dirt road. White with a black hood? Viper red? :huh: I do know that this is starting to drive me :crazy: :loco:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
inkjunkie said:
I spoke with the body guy the other day, he suggested I steer clear of black, just because of the dirt road. White with a black hood? Viper red? :huh: I do know that this is starting to drive me :crazy: :loco:
viper red is your color....sweet :cheers:

glhcarl

Reaction score
inkjunkie said:
I like RED. :banana:

mannye

Reaction score
droptop said:
meepbeep69 said:
Droptop.

Does that wax work on 30-45 day old basecoat clearcoat paint?

Yes, I used it on my '75 2 weeks after it was painted.

Depends on the paint though don't it? Some paints need 60 days to cure before wax... just sayin'

mannye

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
mannye said:
(Yellow being the color most forgiving of slight bodywork imperfections)

:huh: apparently the guy that painted mine yellow musta not heard this, or mine has more than "Slight" imperfections (must be why I have news skins for it. ):lol: although from 30 or 40 feet it looks pretty good.

LOL! Gotta stop drinking JD when slapping on the mud! When I was a kid I worked for a guy that restored 57 Oldsmobiles and each and every one left the Earl Sheib (someone help me with that spelling please) booth with two tone white and pale yellow paint jobs. I swear that color could make bullet holes disappear!

inkjunkie

Reaction score
I feel like I am :brickwall:. The dirt road I live on is more silt than anything else. I think no matter what color my car gets painted I will constantly be cleaning it. I would like the car to be black. I picked a hell of a time to stop drinking.....

Jim S.

Reaction score
I you want it black, then black it is. Here is my take on it. Any color is going to be high maintenance living on a dirt road, including the wheel wells. Granted you will work harder with swirls and such but, careful washing, waxing etc. Trouble is, after you get the thing all pretty, you have to drive on the dirt road to go out. I have a 2002 black Jeep Liberty that still looks brand new. Takes about a week in the spring after winter driving to get it right. Thing that nails it the worst, is when it rains or sleets and it is dirty. That blows over the hood and roof leaving small scratches. I'm starting to wonder how much clear is left after all the scratch removal. Droptop owns 6! I don't want to arm wrestle him. Anyway, I think one of the best looking cars is a black 69 RR or GTX with V21 hood stripes. I'd say, crack a beer and paint it black. You can stop drinking next week. You will need your strength then anyway to keep it clean. :lol: Good luck whatever you decide..........

mcmopar

Reaction score
If black is what you really want you should just go ahead and bite the bullet and paint the car black. If you don't you'll always look back with some amount of regret that you didn't do what you really wanted to do. Sure, it may be a bit more upkeep than another color, but another color isn't really what you want now is it?

Back