• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Center Console Fiber glassing

Nick

Reaction score
My 69 RR center console is in less than great shape. The rear portion has a large crack and some small broken sections. From what I have found on the forum i'm looking at about $250 to buy a new one. If I am looking at buying one I might as well try to fix the one I have. Worst case scenario, I have to buy one anyways. Best case, I don't :smile-new:

I already have fiberglass cloth, resin and bondo. I also have experience using it on other applications.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone had any success fiber glassing the B body center console?
2. Are the consoles available on like megapartsUSA essentially plastic molds?

Thanks in advance!

moparmonk

Reaction score
I think I would try to plastic weld it before I would fiberglass it. The plastic is so smooth that the fibers of the glass do not adhere and eventually I think it would separate. Try this. http://www.amazon.com/Urethane-Supp...186041&sr=8-1&keywords=airless+plastic+welder. It has a pretty good booklet on plastic repair and it can be used on a ton of stuff. If you do it on the inside, and "v" it out good, with a thick coat of paint, it may be very hard to see that it was broken. Just a thought.

Nick

Reaction score
I think I would try to plastic weld it before I would fiberglass it. The plastic is so smooth that the fibers of the glass do not adhere and eventually I think it would separate. Try this. http://www.amazon.com/Urethane-Supp...186041&sr=8-1&keywords=airless+plastic+welder. It has a pretty good booklet on plastic repair and it can be used on a ton of stuff. If you do it on the inside, and "v" it out good, with a thick coat of paint, it may be very hard to see that it was broken. Just a thought.

Interesting. I will check it out for sure. Thank you for the input. I will have to see what else I could use it for. $90 more and I could buy a brand new console mold. Thanks again.

I also read about using epoxy to attach fiberglass cloth. Then resening the fiberglass cloth to the epoxied cloth. Sounds like it would hold. I will run a couple test patches on some throw away plastic from the car.

metalstorm

Reaction score
I think by the time you get dome fixing you will wish you got new.jmo.My Satellite console was cracked and a chunk out and no way I felt fixing it was going to be good unless it was all I could do.

Nick

Reaction score
I forgot to grab a picture of it this after noon. I will post tomorrow. Its actually not as bad as I thought it was. There is 1 5" crack on the rear portion near the rear chrome plate. There is a chiped portion (to which I found the broken piece) and other than that it could be re trimmed with chrome. Will get it cleaned up tomorrow.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
if you do end up buying a new console, get it from Tony D. He's not the cheapest, but he knows his stuff, and I've never heard a bad thing about him. dealt with him several times.

Photon440

Reaction score
Nick, you`re getting close with that remark about using epoxy. What you need to do is to ditch the polyester resin that you have and get some epoxy resin instead. Unless you`re coating a greasy surface, it simply will not come back off.

Epoxy resin costs more, but has much less smelly fumes, less shrinkage and is a lot stronger.

Nick

Reaction score
Thanks! I think we're going to go ahead and get a new one. $250 from tony and most other places. Will probably sell the one we have on CL.

Back