• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

center console yes or no

mopar jack

Reaction score
Finishing my 71 road runner restoration and can't decide to add a console. The car came with buckets and no console.

20190727_123237.jpg

20180218_111530.jpg

V.R.D

Reaction score
i have that year console in my 69 runner i have always liked that style console so yes is my vote.

Petroleum1

Reaction score
That interior pic with the console looks like my old '71 GTX with the brown interior. Both options look good imo

mopar jack

Reaction score
If I go with a console I will put a cup holder in it. There seams to be enough room behind the shifter. I also have a 71 barracuda with a slap stick auto and console and not much room due to the linkage. I like the no console look of the Hurst shifter, bold and all business, but also like how the console covers the hump and helps hide the seat belts.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Had console with bucket seats in my 73 charger. Also had the 727 trans. with the slap stick shifter. Think you will be happy with the console also.

torredcuda

Reaction score
My Barracuda had an automatic with a console, when I first changed it to a four speed I also changed to a four speed console but later removed it. I now much prefer the cleaner look of buckets and no console and it really makes the Pistol Grip shifter stand out. If yours came without a console that`s a no brainer to me - NO console (but obviously your car, your choice). I also agree with Russ on no cup holder -not going to drink anything when banging gears and going sideways!

mopar jack

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I commuted to work in this car for 6 years back in the nineties with no console and liked the Hurst shifter by it's self. I always thought the 4speed console was an after thought with a big opening and the boot not connecting at the top and also sticking out on the side. How ever with life changes being a cancer survivor I make no saliva and constantly drink water and carry a water bottle every where. I'm thinking of having an upholstery shop making a removable center piece with holders that can be removed to the trunk when I display the car.

Back