• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changing oil pan with engine still in car

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
How much trouble will I cause myself doing this? Been a long time since I did an oil pan change without the engine out.

I'm considering taking a road trip this summer. Currently has a Milodon deep pan on it. My real concern is for that oil line for the external system. I'm starting to think that it could be a problem out on the road.

I have a sweet Milodon road race pan I bought a few years ago and never put in the car I got it for. I think that would be a better choice given that it won't have the external line. I was testing the external deal to shake out any details before putting a serious engine in. I decided that the stock 383 with some bolt on's is all this car needs.

I do have headers to deal with. Taking out drag link wouldn't be any big deal.

I'm really wondering about getting the new pickup threaded in. That might be the worst part of it.

Comments?

mcmopar

Reaction score
Since you are sticking with a stock style pan it won't be that much of a problem and threading in the pickup shouldn't be a big deal. Just get it lined up and then test fit the pan with the windage tray and gaskets in place. Once you are satisfied install the gaskets (I like to make a sandwich with RTV Ultra Blue or Black silicon) and bolt it up. Be careful as things like to shift a little until it sets up. Put in a couple of bolts on each side to hold it in place and line up all the bolt holes and then go to town. Take your time and it will go fairly easily.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
its going to be fun....yes taking out the center like is the easy way......my 9 qt pan has the center link running through the pan with dual lines for the swing gate pic-up....i also boxed out the k-frame for more room ...getting engine in and out.....just in case

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I guess I could hoook the cherry picker up and raise it a little if need be. I really hate the thought of having all sorts of stuff hitting and end up taking everything on apart anyway.

Am I just getting overly concerned about the oil line leaking or coming loose? I know they don't on drag cars but those aren't driven constantly either.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
i've never had an external oiler, so I can't say for sure. But big trucks have external oil lines, and they run foe millions of miles. some leak, some don't. I don't see where you would have any trouble. Just keep an eye on i like any one would with an old car. Drive it and have a blast!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
I guess I could hoook the cherry picker up and raise it a little if need be. I really hate the thought of having all sorts of stuff hitting and end up taking everything on apart anyway.

Am I just getting overly concerned about the oil line leaking or coming loose? I know they don't on drag cars but those aren't driven constantly either.

You could always take some extra oil, wrenches, and an o-ring (or whatever your extrenal line uses to seal to the pan) along in the trunk just in case you had to make some road side adjustments... Like Dave said, big trucks log millions of miles with external lines; just prepare, load up, and go!

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If it aint broke dont fix it. Unless you just dont like the system :cheers:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I put a circle track pan on that I had on the shelf. Wasn't that bad at all. Hurt my back some twisting around but the project had to hapen.

The external I determined was doable but would have cost extra for another fitting or two, and increased the chance of leaks.

The new pan is a 31580, has trap doors and sits way higher in the car. It makes me feel 1000 times better about the whole deal.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
The new pan is a 31580, has trap doors and sits way higher in the car. It makes me feel 1000 times better about the whole deal.
Thats what counts :thumbsup:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
I put a circle track pan on that I had on the shelf. Wasn't that bad at all. Hurt my back some twisting around but the project had to hapen.

The external I determined was doable but would have cost extra for another fitting or two, and increased the chance of leaks.

i had the external fitting leak on my pan.....had a aluminum washer and a an fitting nut.....use black atv on both sides of the washer and snuged it up....waited 24 hours for it to cure then tighten her up...then put the oil in...and bingo....its not leaking

Back