• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chassis dyno

metalstorm

Reaction score
I was wondering how many of you have used a chassis dyno,You likes,dislikes on your experience.I have been one 1 before but they did not want be to rejet my carbs so I used the pulls to check other information.I hope to get to a local dyno if I can't get to the track with the unstable weather.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
A dyno is a tuning tool.....the track is the real results.....we did some pulls at car shows......one after the other....a water dyno which is supposed to be a certain temp....which gave false readings

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I've seen the car show dynos and I'm not impressed... In fact they look like a receipt for a disastrous wreck with the car launching off into the crowd. I watch from a distance.

inri

Reaction score
I can relate to a happy dyno/false readings!

I've read that manual transmissions oftentimes perform better on dynos, generally speaking, but autos perform better at the track.

metalstorm

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of discussion on converter slip fudging the #'s.The guy I went to would not drive my car on a pull on the dyno and he let me operate the car.I think he was afraid of the trans going boom.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
I did 2 separate pulls at car shows.....3 pulls each.....75-100 bucks......he wouldn't let me behind the wheel.....i guess for insurance purposes......plus what big john said.....shit could happen

inri

Reaction score
Careful with those car show dynos, as I've seen on youtube a few of them go KABLAM. Some aren't made for serious high hp.

metalstorm

Reaction score
Very nice and at least you went better that the dyno where mine went the other.The dyno read out 1050hp[engine w/346 iron heads]] and the track was around 700hp with 3900# going 10.14/136 but I am not looking for excuses just saying.I want to dyno to check for reversion I had if I can't get to the track.For fun also here is the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deuuTcazgrU

Last edited:

inri

Reaction score
Very nice and at least you went better that the dyno where mine went the other.The dyno read out 1050hp[engine w/346 iron heads]] and the track was around 700hp with 3900# going 10.14/136 but I am not looking for excuses just saying.I want to dyno to check for reversion I had if I can't get to the track.For fun also here is the video.

I think dynos are a great way to dial in your cars engine/power. As for what the readout says regarding hp & tq... ...as George said before the "track" tells the true numbers.

metalstorm

Reaction score
^Agreed!You can't reproduce the air scoop effect also so many times there is more tunning at the track after the dyno.

george68hemirr

Reaction score

you should be losing around 120hp thru the drive train....so with that said you should have 930hp at the rear wheels.....very impressive

metalstorm

Reaction score
you should be losing around 120hp thru the drive train....so with that said you should have 930hp at the rear wheels.....very impressive
Impressive only if it were true results,like you said the track results are the real #'s.Once I get the carbs running good after adding aluminum heads I can make other adjustments.The dyno will help get some results that I can use to adjust the carb.

zupanj

Reaction score
I had mine on a dyno twice, once before with the 383 and once after with the hemi. This was done in a shop not a car show. The dyno was used to optimize the tune on the engine and was pretty useful. When I put the hemi in the car and they did a few pulls the guy said he planned about 4 hours of jet changing but the A/F ratio was spot on. The engine was built by a good group in Ohio and it was tuned on an engine stand before I received it.

For what it's worth I also had my 427 Cobra on the same dyno some time ago too. I thought the engine was not putting out the power I expected. Turns out the dyno said it was, I guess I was just used to driving it. I have given a lot of people rides in the car since and the looks on their faces say it's not underpowered.

Back