• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrome trim around speedometer

djais1801

Reaction score
How do I remove this to replace.... There are 2 screws in the finish panel where wiper switch is and 2 screws under top of instrument panel- I've removed them and did not seem to loosen anything

Does the lower dash pad have to come out?

Last edited:

quikbird

Reaction score
removing dash pad is extreme pain. there are a number of small speednut type fasteners holding pad in and real pain to get to. lower switch panel should come out without removing dash pad. I think dash pad does have to be removed to remove instrument cluster. one hint is to remove pieces and drop or remove steering column. there are only three bolts holding it to the dash and four to the firewall. pop the wiring connector and the roll pin on the coupler and out it pops. gives you much more room under that dash to reach some of those speednuts. a flexible extension for a drill helps a lot also.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
the trim you want to take out is attached to the cluster, and the lower pad has to come off to get the cluster off.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
a little extreme, but you can get a lot done.....if you have any reason to pull the windshield, you can pull the complete dash. this will allow you easy access to the rear of the dash, to get to all the dash pad nuts. and while the dash is out, replace those dried out leakey wiper pivot seals, and if you have manual brakes, this is a great time to replace the master cylinder without having to be a contournisist and using all the foul language in the book. and you can repaint the dash of needed.

djais1801

Reaction score
Too late on the contortionist / cursing cause of my leaking MC a few months ago...
a little extreme, but you can get a lot done.....if you have any reason to pull the windshield, you can pull the complete dash. this will allow you easy access to the rear of the dash, to get to all the dash pad nuts. and while the dash is out, replace those dried out leakey wiper pivot seals, and if you have manual brakes, this is a great time to replace the master cylinder without having to be a contournisist and using all the foul language in the book. and you can repaint the dash of needed.

Back