• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chuck's Roadrunner Story

Chuck

Reaction score
Some had heard this story from other Roadrunner sites, but for those that haven't.

I bought my roadrunner in April 1977 after losing my 1962 Scout to a drunk driver. Almost killed me. I was living in Great Falls, Montana serving my country in the US Air Force. After the Scout I needed a ride. My friend Doug told me of a girl, who was told by the Air Police to get her car out of the trailer park and off the base. Doug said she was looking to sell it and it would be a great car for me to get. I had never even heard of the Roadrunner or knew what it looked like. I grew up in the Air Force and lived in Wisconsin until I also joined the Air Force. The girl had been offered $200 by a junk yard. I offered her $250 and the car was mine sight unseen. Doug assured me I would not be disappointed.

Now it was March in Montana. Cold and very snowy. Was around 20 inches on the ground and in Montana it doesn’t melt very fast. Doug and I loaded up a spare battery and a can of starting fluid into his 1966 Ford Econoline. And of course, in Montana you always carry snow shovels. We needed them. The car was totally covered in snow. I couldn’t even tell what color it was. We proceeded to shovel it out and make a path for it. A couple shovels and now what color it is? Brown. Oh well, so much for pretty. After a couple hours of shoveling, cranking, spraying, cranking, spraying, cranking spraying the Road Runner came to life. Wow, it needs mufflers too.

So there it sat, running rather smoothly. A 1969 Plymouth Road Runner (RM21H9G159031) with bald tires. The weather was no place to do a detailed inspection so I jumped in and drove it back to the barracks on base. Now in Montana they tend not to plow the roads and that afternoon they all looked kind of like toboggan runs. I punched the accelerator and fishtailed myself all the way back to the barracks. At 19 it was the most fun I had ever had with a car. I fell in love with the car.

Here’s the first picture I have of the car. June 1977.

Plymouth.jpg

Mr Gorsky

Reaction score
1977, those were the days.

No mobile phones, no internet, no flat screen TV's, ABBA, ELO and an extremely remote chance that the girl you liked would even cast you a sideways glance :).

rockdog2112

Reaction score
I had my first one in 1978. I was 16. What I would give to have that car back again. I spent 34 years trying to get another. Just glad I have another one now.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I sold an F8 Hemi Road runner back in 75 for $2500 up in Cheyenne that came down from Montana. Talk about kicking yourself years later. Sad thing is I never took pictures of my cars.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
welcome Chuck, great story. Nothing like that first ride in an old car that makes you wonder now "what the hell was I thinking?"

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
GREAT STORY.....bought my first 1969 roadrunner in 1973 while in my last year in the USAF from my brother....383/4 speed....sold it in 1974 for 800.00 after i lost my license for 6 months.....too many speeding tickets.....DUH!!!!!!!!

quikbird

Reaction score
Bought my first one ( it was BLUE Dave ! ) 383 4gear in 74 again for 800.00. Kept it for about 3 years till it got too expensive for a college kid to keep fixing. Usual stuff back then- l 60's and airshocks. Jacked up about 12 inches, Looking back surprised the shocks didn't punch through the trunk floor. Had a lot of fun with that car. Ah the memories!

Chuck

Reaction score
Come on guy, I still have it. I'm the one that kept it though marrage, three kids and three houses. It's currently the less than dependable standby car. I was driving it to work a year ago. It's considered a daily driver.

b-star69

Reaction score
Come on guy, I still have it. I'm the one that kept it though marrage, three kids and three houses. It's currently the less than dependable standby car. I was driving it to work a year ago. It's considered a daily driver.

Congrats, tune her up and keep on driving it daily! By the way pictures please

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
awesome stories guys! Make me dreamin'!
We bought our first roadrunner in january 2014! lol
My bro and I bought our first car (and of course it was an american one!) a 73' Ford Ranchero 400ci three years ago. Cool ride though. :)
And my dad bought his frist american ride in 1991. It is a 68 Mustang Fastback GT390. It was in really bad shape and took him almost 15 years to complete its restoration!
So now we are riding those three cars and its great!
And for my part, I'm the youger son of the two, the roadrunner is my dream car! :)

cj69RR

Reaction score
Welcome. I've got my dads runner that they bought in 1970, it was the family daily driver till 81-82? Got it back on the road in 85 and got to drive it every now and then to school. Then it sat when I joined the Navy. 20 years later got it back on the road and dad enjoyed it for 5 more years. Then when I retired from the Navy he gave it to me. Still don't believe I have it.

Back