• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clean and paint engine area without pulling motor

artiststan

Reaction score
Attached is a shot of engine area of the 69 Roadrunner I just got. The body is painted nicely, but because it was numbers matching the previous owners left the engine compartment and inside the doors original, as you can see. How tough is it to have this all cleaned and painted with matching color without pulling the motor. I just want it to look nice and clean but I don't want to hurt the survivor aspects of the car. It is a survivor except for the paint on outside of car, making it not a true survivor, but you get the idea. All opinions welcomed on what to do with this nasty engine area.
rr3.jpg

rr3.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Clean it up to the best of your ability and you can get paint from Totally Auto if you want to rattle can it. Don't worry yourself about it being a survivor, to many things have been changed already. Enjoy the car

TOMRR

Reaction score
Take your time and give it a good hand cleaning, and paint what you can with a rattle can if you want to. I would rather look at clean and neat engine bay. it's your car and you know your limits

b-star69

Reaction score
We did a gm car at my buddy's shop.we used aluminum foil to cover suspintion,steering ,and wiring.turned out real nice.

droptop

Reaction score
Just pull it out and do it right the first time. You will be glad you did in the long run. :cents:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've done a couple engine bays with the engine in place. Not that bad a job.

bobbyb

Reaction score
maybe just try and concentrate on one area at a time, do the radiator support area first then a inner fender and so on.

Tempest 455

Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation. My '69 is a 90% survivor and 100% numbers matching and unmolested. Exterior is great. However, under the hood is not as perfect as I would like and I'm kind of OCD. Some of mine has been redone and parts have not. I chose to just leave it. My motor has never been out and honestly, kind of enjoy the originality aspect even if it's not perfect.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
Sherwin Williams Dimension is a single stage acrylic enamel which is reasonable by the quart.
Even if you us use a brush (I've done it).
Work small areas.
If you have a compressor, get a little detail gun and spray the areas as needed for a better look.
I have both of these. The purple one puts out more paint.
The red one is very detailed and puts out almost no paint.

HarborFreightTouchUpSpray-gun.jpg

image_15072.jpg

Last edited:
Back